--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 25, 2009

Book Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glasscompletes the story of Clary and Jace as they face off against their father Valentine and his plans to destroy the entire clave. Can shadowhunters overcome their hatred for downworlders before both of them lose to Valentine?



I really enjoyed this series (first two books reviewed here and here). It had action, romance, and twists and turns throughout. While I actually saw the big surprise a long way off (which may have been Clare's intention), I didn't lose interest in the story for a moment. The conclusion is satisfying and the descriptive writing is beautiful. I was really impressed that Clare wrote such a compelling teen story in the popular urban fantasty style with so little mrg-content. She proves very well that it can be done.

Read-alikes:
Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
Twilightseries by Stephenie Meyer
a bit like A Great and Terrible Beautyand sequels by Libba Bray

RATINGS:
s-factor: !@

Remarkably few for the type of book it is.

mrg-factor: X
There were a few suggestive parts, but they stayed simply suggestive, nothing more.

v-factor: ->->
There is some violence and fighting described, not in detail.

Overall rating: *****


And don't forget to enter to win a signed copy of Fablehaven by Brandon Mull!

3 comments :

  1. I'm going to have to read the rest of this series. Sounds good.

    I enjoy the book-a-likes and movie-likes feature you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What surprise? I've read all three and I can't find any surprise! I loved this series (I was a wee bit creeped out by the incest factor) though. Totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liyana, I was talking about learning of Sebastian's and Jace's true identities. I guess maybe it wasn't intended as a surprise. It was a great series, despite the brother-sister thing *shudder*

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015