--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Children's Book Festival

I spent a wonderful day at the Provo Children's Book Festival! This was my first year going, and I will definitely be there again next year!

I first attended a panel of fantasy authors, including Shannon Hale, Jessica Day George, J. Scott Savage, Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, and James Dashner. It was a lot of fun to hear their thoughts on the future of fantasy, particularly in middle grade and young adult. Unfortunately, the fire alarm interrupted the event, making it difficult to hear and concentrate. (No worries, there was no fire, just an unattended young mischief-maker. I'm sure if I had kids, they would have been equally as mischievous.) Also unfortunate was my lack of forethought in bringing a camera. While I would have loved to snap some photos, I am not the most photogenic person. I might not have even posted a photo of me with any of the authors, so you aren't missing out on much.

The highlight, of course, is meeting the authors as they sign your books. I have a really hard time striking up conversations with strangers, let alone strangers whose books I adore. Our conversations were not exciting enough for me to post. However, here are all of the books I got signed:



I will probably have to go six months before I buy another book to make up for my splurging. All in all, it was a lot of fun and I simply love having signed books.

Do you crave having books signed or do you not really care, as long as the book is good?

Oh, and stay tuned, because I am giving away one of these signed books on my blog shortly!

7 comments :

  1. Melissa, Melissa, Melissa!! I wish I knew you were there! I was there! In that same panel! (Dang fire alarm!) Could I use any more explanation marks?! Seriously, though, I'm bummed I didn't get to chat. I would have looked for you. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooooo sad I missed it!!

    You can bear to part with one of those lovely signed books? You're braver than I am! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha, I am ashamed to admit that I am pretty sure I saw you and I am just too much of a wimp to introduce myself - it's just like talking with the authors!

    Britt, I can only bear it because I already have a copy of it signed for myself - I know, embarrassing to admit my own selfishness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that I was home cleaning and about 3pm remembered about the event. I was wanting to attend Rick Walton's class as well as Brad Wilcox's class. I was so mad that I forgot:(

    I LOVE going to see authors and getting books signed. I think it's more exciting than it would be meeting a celebrity. They are celebrities to me. I usually get a picture with them too. I am such a fanatic that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the celebrity status - I get all flustered and stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there last year, and I really hope to be there next year. But this year it was impossible. But if we ARE both there next year, let's not be too shy to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suey, I will definitely agree to that!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015