--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 29, 2009

Book Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wingsare just the beginning of Laurel's troubles, when she happens to discover that she is not quite human. She is swept up into a battle to protect something only she might be able to save - if she can survive.



I have heard a lot about this one. There has been much hype and, well, now it is #1 on the New York Times Bestseller children's chapter books list (which is saying something)! I did like the story. I thought it was sweet and fun and fairly exciting near the end. However, I did not get as into it as many people have. I found myself hoping for more information and explanation. The most interesting parts were in discussion of the faeries and their history. There was just not enough about them. Some of the ending was a little too neat, but I am definitely intrigued enough to pick up the next one. I think Pike has a lot of potential as a writer and is already on her way up!

Read-alikes:
of course, it was reminiscent of Twilightby Stephenie Meyer
and a little like Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, though less mature and dark
and for no obvious reasons, it reminded me of Impossible by Nancy Werlin, maybe it was the guitar...

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

A very few

mrg-factor: none
Though there is a lot of cuddling

v-factor: ->
A little blood and fighting.

Overall rating: ***

2 comments :

  1. I read somewhere that it was sort of like an introduction to the rest of the trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hadn't heard that - it makes more sense if it is mostly just intro material.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015