--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Book Review: The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester

The Girl Who Could Flyis the extraordinary story of Piper McCloud, a girl who just can't keep her feet on the ground. When she is taken to a facility for children with interesting skills, she makes several new friends and some frightening discoveries that could change her future.



There has been a lot of hype about this, probably due entirely to Stephenie Meyer's recommendation. I admit I had a hard time getting into the story for the first half of the book. When things finally began to pick up about then, I thought it was very well done. It was a satisfactory and unique story. I loved Forester's writing, particularly her flying descriptions. This was one of my favorites:
"The fact of the matter is the minute you get a mouthful of blue sky dancing across your taste buds there's no keeping you from it." pg. 21
Read-alikes:
reminded me of Savvy by Ingrid Law and maybe a tiny bit like Graceling by Kristin Cashore
reminded Stephenie Meyer of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men :)

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

I think there were one or two.

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none


Overall rating: ****

2 comments :

  1. I really liked this one, too, and I thought it was like Savvy in a way, as well. Maybe Stephenie Meyer hasn't read Savvy yet. :) Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...maybe we should recommend it to her :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015