--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 1, 2009

Book Review: Mudville by Kurtis Scaletta

Description of Mudvillefrom Amazon:

"Welcome to Moundville, where it’s been raining for longer than Roy McGuire has been alive. Most people say the town is cursed—right in the middle of their big baseball game against rival town Sinister Bend, black clouds crept across the sky and it started to rain. That was 22 years ago . . . and it’s still pouring.
Baseball camp is over, and Roy knows he’s in for a dreary, soggy summer. But when he returns home, he finds a foster kid named Sturgis sprawled out on his couch. As if this isn’t weird enough, just a few days after Sturgis’s arrival, the sun comes out. No one can explain why the rain has finally stopped, but as far as Roy’s concerned, it’s time to play some baseball. It’s time to get a Moundville team together and finish what was started 22 years ago. It’s time for a rematch."



This was a fun, quick read for baseball lovers. The touch of fantasy was very fun. I like Roy a lot, because he seems like a real kid with real mistakes, but he is also a genuinely good person. I also like his father because he is believable as well. I was conflicted about Sturgis, however. I was never quite certain who I should have been rooting for or whether I should like him. The ending was fairly well done, though I thought Sturgis' reaction was not exactly what I expected. One of the things I thought was especially well done was the lack of swearing.

RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ***

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015