--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sign Up for the Classic Double Challenge: 2012

I finally got myself together enough to start this challenge!  Thanks to all those who expressed interest in joining up.  Here is the info about this challenge:

Essentially, the Classic Double Challenge will encourage you to read one older book (classic) and a newer book that relates to the older one in some way.  (BTW, can be any reading level from MG to Adult.)  This is best understood by examples, which I'll post below.  I've also compiled an anything-but-complete list of some examples for further perusal.  You do NOT have to pick something from the list.  I'm leaving the choices to your discretion - if you think there is some sort of connection between the books, go for it! 


Examples:
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle and When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.  The first is kind of a "classic" and in the second, the main character loves A Wrinkle in Time and it plays a part in the plot. 
 
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein by Kenneth Oppel.
More obvious, since This Dark Endeavour is a prequel of sorts to Frankenstein. 

 
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Jane by April Lindner.
Jane is a retelling of Jane Eyre, set in modern times.

What I'd really love is for each person to write a review (or whatever you want to call it) of the two books (preferably together) and post it somewhere (blog, tumblr, goodreads, my comments, wherever) so that participants can check them out and we can discuss!  (I'd like to start a goodreads book group around this idea, but don't have the energy for that...yet!) 

And, of course, there are levels of participation, so you can choose how much or how little you'd like to commit to:


Small: You read 2 related books.

Medium: You read 4 books (2 sets of related books).

Large: You read 6 books (3 sets of related books).

Super Size: You read 8 books (4 sets of related books).

So, decide your size of participation and post about it wherever (or if you don't have a blog, you can leave your committment in the comments) and then link back below.  You don't have to decide what you're planning to read right away, but listing some possibilities is always fun.  Sign up any time from now until the end of 2012.

I'd love it if you'd spread the word about this challenge, if you so desire.  And, feel free to snag one of the buttons below and display it on your blog or wherever else you'd like.  I believe I'll have some prizes maybe each month next year for those who read and somehow post reviews (even if it's in the comments of my blog :)  I'm still pretty new at this, so we'll see!  Thanks everyone and I hope this is a fun challenge for you.

Some info on the list of book possibilities:
-I've included fairy tale retellings.  Essentially, you'd read the retelling and find some form of an original tale - as original as you can find it: Grimm, Andrew Lang, whatever. 
-The same goes for the myths/legends/stories that are included (though I obviously didn't spend much time working on that part of the list).  Try to find an older, original telling of the story. 
-Also, I didn't include some of your suggestions for pairing newer dystopian books with 1984 or Fahrenheit 451, simply because there were too many permutations that could take.  You are, however, welcome to pair them any way you like, and be sure to let us know the similarities, etc, in your review.  I'll try to add any other suggestions you have for additions.





If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

32 comments :

  1. I'm totally joining you on this one but I'll probably only do the small challenge. I can't decide what books I'll do yet but I'm sure I'll think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of this challenge! I'm reading The Time Machine now because I wanted to read The Map of Time. It's almost like you went inside my head when you thought up this one :)

    I'm trying to decide on a level now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this challenge, Melissa! Count me in!! And if you need help doing a goodreads group, I can help you out if you want. I run an Oprah bookclub on goodreads so I have an idea of how to do it there :)

    Jessica

    booksatruestory at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of this challenge! I have sworn off challenges for the time being but I may change my mind at some point so I am keeping my eye on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun idea! I'll do it! So look for me to come back with a link soon. (Nice new linking gadget... haven't seen that one yet. So long Mr. Linky, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally going to do this! I'm going to do it with P&P and P&P&Z. They've both been on my TBR list forever! :) I'll link back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, yeah and size doesn't matter!

    Melissa, I usually think that about other people's ideas :-) That sounds like a fun pairing (though I DNF Map of Time.

    Jessica, I will totally ask you for help in starting one...sometime :-)

    reviewsbylola, I know the feeling of not wanting to do any more challenges - feel free to join any time!

    Suey, yeah I didn't want to upgrade to the next level of Mr. Linky, so I found something new!

    Jenni, that sounds like a very fun pairing - I read P&P&Z and it was definitely a unique take on the original :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am signing up for this one for sure! I'll have my challenge post up in December :) Finally, finally I WILL read Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan on doing this challenge. Maybe even the Supersize version. I don't have a book blog though so I'm not really sure what to link to. I would love to see this as a Goodreads book group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small, hooray for Jane Eyre, one of my faves!

    Amber, you don't need to link anything to sign up, you can just let me know in the comments if you've decided to do a certain level and myabe some possible book pairs you'll do :) You can link to your goodreads reviews next year when I post about the challenge monthly, if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to commit to small (and hope for medium!) - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dolly, hooray (I should start small and hope for medium myself when it comes to challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I really like this one. Just need to think on the size, write the post and head back to link up! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb, I'm happy to have you join up! Looking forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely going to participate and will post my link soon.

    Another good resource for related books is From Hinton to Hamlet. Good stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Akilah, happy to have you join! I'm eager to get that book from my library now. It sounds perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome idea for a challenge! I plan on participating in the medium level.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome, Whitney! Looking forward to seeing your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just signed up! I'm so excited about this challenge. The possibilities are endless! Thanks for hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vasilly, welcome! I love how many possibilities this one has. Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This will help me and my students! Will make a display and then read and review two at a time. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brain Lair, ooh sounds fun. Wish I had a display for these books!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found this through a link from Small Review and I love, love the idea of this challenge as I love retellings and books inspired by other books.

    The only thing that gives me pause is that as a teacher, I've read some of the Classic books (Pride & Prejudice, Romeo & Juliet, The Iliad and The Odyssey) over and over again with different classes and know them practically word-for-word, so it would be very hard to write a review for these books and try to remember my first impressions of them. Would it be OK to just give a very brief summation of my feelings for the Classic book? For example, "Pride & Prejudice: Like every female alive, I love it and hope to find my own Darcy someday".

    ReplyDelete
  24. TG, absolutely! You can say as much or as little about the books as you want. It would be fun to discuss the way the newer book is like the older book, but you don't have to. And you don't even need to talk about your first, second, third, impressions of the book. Basically, you can do what you'd like in a "review" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just found out about your challenge and I think it's great, I'm definitely in! Thanks! I haven't defined titles yet, but I have several options in mind -- I'll start with two, and maybe work my way to the upper levels? That's allowed, right? I just love this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ouch, Blogger ate my comment :-( I was saying how much I love this idea, and I'm in, and I'll start with two books but hope to reach the upper levels, is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ouch, Blogger ate my comment :-( I was saying how much I love this idea, and I'm in, and I'll start with two books but hope to reach the upper levels, is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely allowed! Sorry about the blogger issues - I have moderated comments on older posts :) Welcome and thanks for joining the party!

      Delete
  28. Hi

    I don't see a link to the wrap-up posts, so I am just posting it over here. I have finished the challenge (my level was small):
    http://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2012/07/challenge-complete-classic-double.html

    Thanks for hosting the challenge. It was an interesting exercise. I'd love to have you host it next year too.

    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, neer. I hope to host it next year too! I'll put your link in the June collection (I'm not very good about adding these things and I don't have a wrap-up post yet either! Boy am I behind :)

      Delete
  29. My end-of-year results
    http://www.exurbanis.com/archives/8034

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Debbie! No worries if you didn't get your goal, I fell short too :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015