--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Challenging New Year

I've been feeling a bit sad since I haven't seen anyone pick up the 100+ reading challenge that J.Kaye used to host.  However, I think I'll still challenge myself to read 150 books next year.  And, since I've got some ambition right now, I'm signing up for a few other challenges as well:

Photobucket

First up, I'm joining Kristi of The Story Siren's 2011 Debut Author Challenge, wherein I will try to read 15 debut titles next year:
[Read in 2010, but released in 2011: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand]
1. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
2. The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal
3. Hourglass by Myra McEntire
4. Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances O'Roark Dowell
5. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
6. Divergent by Veronica Roth
7. Possession by Elana Johnson
8. Bumped by Megan McCafferty
9. Entwined by Heather Dixon
10. Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis
11. The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
12. The Trouble with Half a Moon by Danette Vigilante
13. Blood Red Road by Moira Young
14. Abby Carnelia's One and Only Magical Power by David Pogue
15. Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini 
16. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
17. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
18. Populazzi by Elise Allen 
19. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
20. Clarity by Kim Harrington
21. Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
22. Wildwood by Colin Meloy


Photobucket
Next, I'm signing up for the Middle Grade Book Challenge hosted at Cindy's Love of Books, cause I love me some MG.  Technically it started in September, but I'll start counting in January (yeah for Cybils).  I'm going for 15 on this one too: 
1. The Shadows by Jacqueline West
2. The Magnificent 12: The Call by Michael Grant
3. Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon
4. Dragonbreath: Attack of the Ninja Frogs by Ursula Vernon
5. Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
6. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
7. Reckless by Cornelia Funke
8. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
9. The Dead Boys by Royce Buckingham
10. Keeper by Kathi Appelt
11. Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm
12. The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
13. Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
14. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
15. The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan
16. A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck (audio)
17. No Passengers Beyond This Point by Gennifer Choldenko
18. Under the Green Hill by Laura L. Sullivan
19. Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull
20. The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
21. Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry 
22. Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens by Brandon Sanderson   
23. What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb 
24. Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis 
25. Abby Carnelia's One and Only Magical Power by David Pogue
26. Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
27. Radiance by Alyson Noel
28. Leaving the Bellweathers by Kristin Clark Venuti
29. Cahoots by Karla Oceanak
30. The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
31. The Lost Heiress by Catherine Fisher
32. The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud 
33. The Giver by Lois Lowry 
34. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
35. Big Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln Peirce
36. Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
37. The Flintheart by Katherine and John Paterson
38. Can You Survive: Jack London's Call of the Wild adapted by Ryan Jacobson
39. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
40. The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
41. With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
42. Wildwood by Colin Meloy
43. Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver
44. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
45. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
46. The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman by Ben H. Winters
47. Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby


Photobucket
I'm also doing the YA Historical Fiction Challenge, hosted by YA Bliss, because I definitely need to read more historical fiction.  I'm shooting for level 2, which is 10 books: 
1. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
2. The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
3. The River Between Us by Richard Peck
4. Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
6. A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck
7. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
8. With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
9. Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm
10. Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

11. Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver
12. This Dark Endeavour by Kenneth Oppel
13. Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby
Photobucket
And then I'm doing the e-book Reading Challenge, hosted by The Ladybug Reads and aiming for the addicted level, 12 e-books:
1. The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
2. Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances O'Roark Dowell
3. Outside In by Maria V. Snyder
4. Red Glove by Holly Black
5. Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry
6. The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
7. Bumped by Megan McCafferty
8. The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima
9. Blood Red Road by Moira Young
10. Jane Austen: A Life Revealed by Catherine Reef
11. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
12. Wisdom's Kiss by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
13. Moon Shot by Alan Shepard, Deke Slayton, and Jay Barbree
14. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
15. Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry
16. Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
17. Vanish by Sophie Jordan
18. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
19. Slayers by C.J. Hill
20. He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

And of course I'll still be working away at the Local Author Challenge, which is a perpetual challenge.   So I guess I'll be pretty busy all year round.  Here's to a year of reading!

Any challenges you HAD to sign up for?


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

10 comments :

  1. Thanks for joining the E-Book Reading Challenge! It's going to be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have yet to start a challenge list, but not because I don't want to because I can't decide! I'm really interested in Kristi's challenge for debut authors as well as the Middle Grade Challenge so I'm checking into both. I'm hoping to finalize my choices this weekend, but we'll see. Ahhh!!!

    PS...on the 100+ challenge, is it still happening next year? Or does someone still need to pick it up, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to take the challenge. I will start with Michele Marie Tate's latest historical fiction titled, "Blood, Money, Power." Actually I have already read most of it... amazing and exciting book, so will look forward to reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit tempted to not do any particular challenges next year. But really, that makes me sad too, so I don't know. I pretty much failed at every one I signed up for last year. But they are still fun to try I guess. The debut author one seems particularly enticing to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. La Coccinelle, I'm excited for it!

    1stdaughter, looking forward to seeing what you choose! Also, I haven't heard anything about the 100+ challenge (I left more details on your blog comment).

    Becky, I hadn't heard of that one. Best of luck with the challenge!

    Suey, I definitely think they are for fun. And it's lame to say it, but I sign up for ones that I think I'd read anyway. So much for challenging myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your challenges! I need to do one of these sign up posts soon as I am collecting a bunch of challenges I want to sign up for too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining the YAHF Challnge! Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amused, now I feel like I shouldn't read any more challenge posts or I'll join some more!

    Sab, thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015