--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 4, 2013

Challenge Me in 2013

It's that time again!  Time to sign up for the reading challenges of 2013.  I'm super excited and hope to complete the few I've chosen this time around.  If you are interested, you can check out how I did on my 2012 challenges here.

Classic Double Challenge hosted by yours truly. :)  For information on signing up for this challenge, go to the Classic Double Challenge 2013 sign up page. Also, for suggestions on book pairs to read, I have a giant list of retellings with their classic book listed.

I'm going to be ambitious and hope for the Super Size level again this year (even though I didn't manage to quite reach it last year).  And be sure to come back during January 13-19 for my Retell Me a Story event, filled with giveaways, guest posts, and lots of retelling info!


1. Little Red Riding Hood
2. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 

3. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
4. The Turning by Francine Prose

5. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
6. Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund

7. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
8. A Touch of Scarlet by Eve Marie Mont

(Or maybe something Shakespeare, I'm keeping my options open :) Pretty good fail again this year, though 2 out of four isn't bad


Jessica at Books: A True Story's Dusty Bookshelf Challenge.  Though I totally failed last time (no, really, I read zero books for it), I really want to get to those older books that have been waiting so patiently for me.  So, I'm sticking with my original list of books and hoping to get one or two of them read at least (ie: Pixie Dust level).

1. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (3+ years)
2. Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia  (3+ years)
3. Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (3+ years)
4. The Brontes: A Life in Letters by Juliet Barker (um, maybe a decade?)
5. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork (3+ years)

At least I got one read! :)

The last one I'm doing (hey, I'm cutting back a bit this year), is the YA Audiobook Challenge, hosted by Jen of A Book and a Latte.  I already listen to plenty of audiobooks, but now I have a reason to choose more YA audios.  I'm starting low with the Easy Listening level, only 12 audiobooks.  Let's hope I get to more than that!  And I really have no ideas what I want to start with, so I'll just leave my 12 slots wide open for now:

1. Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
2. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
3. Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch
4. Beautiful Days by Anna Godberson 
5. A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson
6. Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson
7. Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt
8. Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
9. Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
10. The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis
11. Sabotage by Margaret Peterson Haddix 
12. The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
13. Will Sparrow's Road by Karen Cushman
14. The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer
15. The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer 

Yay! I finished one of my challenges!! :)

What challenges are you doing this year?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

12 comments :

  1. I love the Classic Double Challenge! And I hope you love love love Scarlet! Can't wait to see how that challenge plays out for you.

    And if you're looking for some great audiobooks, I can suggest a few. Also, Lucy @ The Reading Date always has audiobooks on her blog, so check her out too!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I may need to have suggestions for YA audio books. I'm really excited to read Scarlet.

      Delete
  2. I'm still thinking about signing up for the Classic Double challenge even though I didn't complete it last year. Do you know of any books specifically, that I might enjoy, based on The Little Women? I'm planning to read it and LotR this year as my two classics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Women has a number of retellings and lots that are "related" in other ways too. There's at least one of the horror versions, but I can't remember if it's with zombies or vampires :). March is a fairly popular one, though I was not as pleased with it. Also a few lighter ones like Little Women and Me or the Mother-Daughter Book Club. Hope you find something!

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize someone had written an update to The Scarlet Letter! That looks great. I may have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was another recently published one called When She Woke too. Seems to be pretty popular still.

      Delete
  4. I'll be doing your challenge again but nothing else. Apparently I suck at them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining my challenge again this year! I should really try audiobooks, but i'm horrible at remembering things I hear. Good luck with your challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally have to listen to audios that I've read before, since I tend to lose details too! I'm really hoping I'll get something read from my shelf this year :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for joining the YA Audiobook Challenge! I'm looking forward to seeing what audiobooks you pick, and reading your reviews.
    ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte - Sign up for the 2013 YA Audiobook Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Jen! I'm excited to listen to more YA.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015