--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book Review: Touching Darkness by Scott Westerfeld

Touching Darknessreveals many secrets tangled among the five midnighters of Bixby, Oklahoma. Melissa and Rex have a strange new relationship, Dess learns an astonishing secret that she tries to keep to herself, and Jessica is blown away as she begins to see the kinds of secrets her friends are keeping. And all this on top of a horrifying new threat to the midnighters very survival.


The second book in Westerfeld's Midnighters series is just as compelling and filled with adventure as the first (reviewed here). The story is full of secrets and misunderstandings, not to mention a horrible midnighter past that is revealed. I love this new-to-me series where I don't have to wait years for a sequel (yet). I'm not sure if the revealed secrets really cleared up anything or just produced more mysteries. This is an intriguing and pretty original series. The only part I found frustrating was the seeming lack of technology - a lot of problems would have been solved with cell phones. I wasn't sure if the characters were just really behind the times or if the book was set in an earlier decade.

Read-alikes:
A little like the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan with a darker feel (and no Greek gods)
And also The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Foster

RATINGS:
s-factor: !@

They swore regularly, but not overwhelmingly

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->->

Some fighting and injuries

Overall rating: ****

6 comments :

  1. These books sound really good. How do they compare with the Uglies books - better or worse? I got a little annoyed with the Uglies series, but want to give this one a try ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't any obnoxious slang in these books (which is one thing that really annoyed me about Uglies). In fact, they aren't very similar at all, except for the excitement/adventure factor. I liked Uglies a lot for its dystopia feel, whereas this series is more current day (even a little behind the times). I say give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    Thanks for the review...still working my way through Uglies but was wondering how these compared. Will add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my favorite of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I liked it better than the first one, but have yet to pick up the rest. Hopefully the rest of the series is nearly as good?

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015