--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Book Review: Schooled by Gordon Korman

Schooledis the quirky story of Capricorn Anderson, who has been home schooled all his life - until his grandmother, Rain, must spend weeks in physical therapy recovering from a broken hip. Eighth grade can be hard for any kid, but if you are from a hippie commune and have no clue about the outside world, it's definitely going to be a challenge.



This was a fun middle grade read with themes on tolerance and acceptance. I enjoyed the different perspectives from several different characters throughout. All of the kids seemed quite believable (well, except perhaps Cap himself) in their emotions and reactions to someone different. The ending was pretty neatly tied up, but I couldn't imagine one that would fit better into the story.

Read-alike:
Stargirlby Jerry Spinelli

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

There might have been one or two.

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->

One kid gets punched and trampled, but no details.

Overall rating: ***

2 comments :

  1. I was just pondering whether or not I should request this one from Disney. Based on your review, I think I'm going to.

    BTW: I love that you point out the level of language, sex and violence. I also love your "readalike" feature. I'm just really enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure liked it. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015