--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherinesdumping him is all that Colin seems to experience in life. Despite his genius prodigy status, after Katherine XIX (K-19) dumps him, he hits rock bottom and ends up in the tiny town of Gutshot, Tennessee with his friend Hassan. There, despite nearly getting gored by a feral hog, chased by a hoard of angry hornets, and beaten up by The Other Colin (TOC), Colin realizes his missing piece can be found in unlikely places.



This book was an absolute riot. I hardly stopped laughing all the way through. I don't normally like this kind of book either, but I found myself enjoying it and marking parts that I loved. Colin was quirky and I love nearly all of the minor characters - particularly the Gutshot residents. The footnotes just added to the overall excellence as well. The book was not only humorous, it was also real - the characters were believable, the struggles of trying to understand who you are and what you want to do all seemed natural. And the writing was just fabulous. I guess the major drawbacks to this are the swearing and the mrg-content. I imagine that walking down the hall of a high school would sound exactly like this, but I got really tired of it. Anyway, I really enjoyed my first foray into John Green novels. I think I'll have to pick up another.

Read-alikes:
From what I hear, all Green's books have similar plots, so try Looking for Alaskaand Paper Townsby him

Just wanted to list a couple of my favorite quotes:

"What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? How very odd, to believe God gave you life, and yet not to think that life asks more of you than watching TV." p. 33

"Because like say I tell someone about my feral hog hunt. Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me...I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter - maybe less than a lot, but always more than none." p. 213

"Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back." p. 110

RATINGS:
s-factor: !@#$

Yeah, it's everywhere. Interesting change from the usual "ck" ending to "g," though I guess it was Norman Mailer's idea.

mrg-factor: XXX
Boy, they sure talk about it a lot, though it isn't described really.

v-factor: ->
Some people get beat up.

Overall rating: ****

4 comments :

  1. I liked Paper Towns almost as much as Katherines, just so you know.

    Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that will be my next Green choice. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll get this just for the last quote. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015