--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book Review: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

The Last Olympianconcludes Percy Jackson's fight against the Titan Lord Kronos and is filled with excitement from giant flying pigs to invincible fighting drakons. Will Percy and his half-blood friends be able to find enough allies to defeat the overwhelming forces of Kronos or will Percy blow it all with one bad choice?



I have been waiting for this book since it first came out in May (cliffhanger from the last book). That's a long time to wait, but it ended up being worth it. The book is jam-packed with adventure and Greek god humor. I love Percy's wry sense of humor and also the underlying morals in the story. There were several twists in the story that I didn't grasp until they burst upon me, despite my efforts to understand the Great Prophecy. This series is really well written, interesting, teaches mythology, and manages to keep you on the edge of your seat (if you don't fall off laughing, anyway). A great pick for reluctant readers, especially adventure-loving guys.

Read-alikes:
For the mythology aspect, I enjoyed Goddess of Yesterdayby Caroline B. Cooney
It's also a bit like Harry Potter (prophecy and all that)

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

Not too many, but some.

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->

Definitely a lot of action, but it isn't detailed or really gory

Overall rating: ****

4 comments :

  1. I like your review. I loved this book. It was definitely my favorite and a good end to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll pick this up as I'm on a Greek mythology roll. :D

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015