--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 10, 2010

Listless Monday, Children's Book Week Edition

Listless Monday was inspired by both Amanda at A Bookshelf Monstrosity's feature Books by Theme and Court at Once Upon a Bookshelf's Listed feature.  Be sure to check out their lists!


I was intending to post my 1930s list this Monday, but instead opted to celebrate Children's Book Week with a list of some of my favorite children's books of all time. (I decided to leave out picture books, because it might get even more out of hand.)  Be sure to celebrate children's literature this week!  I'll be posting reviews of middle grade books all this week, so stay tuned.


Old Favorites:
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Babysitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin
The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Cricket in Time's Square by George Selden
Enchantress of Crumbledown by Donald R. Marshall
Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene (yeah for 80 years!)
Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

More Recently Discovered Favorites:
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
Faeries of Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester
A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck
Love Among the Walnuts by Jean Ferris
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan 
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg
The Wendesday Wars by Gary Schmidt

I realized I could go on and on...so I'll stop here.  But, I'd love to hear some of your favorites!

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. It looks like all of my favorites are already on your list! I especially love Shannon Hale, Lois Lowry, and Konigsburg. The Fablehaven and Ranger's Apprentice series are ones that I hope to get to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome list. I may have to make my own Top Ten list or something and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sticking to 10 not on your list (which is really hard!), with 5 longer term and 5 newer discoveries:

    Longer Standing:

    Cynthia Voight - Homecoming
    The Eagle of the Ninth - Rosemary Sutcliff
    Tales of Troy and Greece - Roger Lancelyn Green
    Eight Days of Luke - Diana Wynne Jones
    The Riddlemaster of Hed (trilogy) - Patricia McKillip

    Newer Loves:

    The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
    The Book Thief- Markus Zusak
    Thornspell - Helen Lowe
    The Astonishing life of Octavian Nothing - MT Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley, you should definitely get to Fablehaven - now you won't have to wait to know what happens in the series, since they're all published!

    Suey, I'd love to see yours!

    Andie, I've only read one of your longer standing choices. Really makes me realize how little I've read.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015