--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Series Review: The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

The Selection, The Elite, and The One by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication dates: 2012-2014
Source: Library
For: Book Group
Series: The Selection, Books 1-3

Summary (from yours truly, for a change):
In a world where castes rule the choices of career and love for many people, America Singer gets the chance of a lifetime - to vie against 34 other girls for the hand of Prince Maxon.  If only she had wanted that chance.  Already in love, she isn't interested in winning his hand.  Or is she?

Things I Liked:
The whole series is nice, easy to read, fluffy and entertaining.  It's not the kind of story that grips you, exactly, but I felt like I needed to read the series to the bitter end. (But not really the next books...).  I have to admit, it is somewhat fascinating reading about bachelor-style romances.  The very idea of them is so stupid, but it's dreadfully entertaining to watch them cat fight. 

Things I Didn't Like:
The last two books (in the original trilogy, don't get me started on more sequels) really annoyed me. I wanted to smack America over and over.  She just kept saying she needed to decide and then saying she would worry about it later.  No wonder you ended up with problems, girl.  You can't put that kind of stuff off forever.  Seriously, she was super naive and the books were all super predictable.  I almost had the entire ending figured out by the end of the first book.  And I really, really hated the love triangle disaster.  That was prolonged until I wanted to beat my head against a wall.  So why did I keep reading?  Entertainment. 

Read-alikes:
Eh, I don't know.

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
there might have been a few

mrg-factor: X
mostly snuggling and making out and such

v-factor: ->
some scary stuff and people die but very mildly described

Overall rating: ** or ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I really have no desire to read this series. After reading your review I really don't want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first book, but have been unable to tolerate the rest of the series. I blamed it on my reading mood, but after reading your thoughts, I might officially give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you probably already know what happens, so you can feel free to skip it :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015