--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Book Review: The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien

The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien
Publisher: Roaring Press Books
Publication date: September 2014
Pages: 432
Source: e-book from Netgalley
For: Fun
Series: Vault of Dreamers, Book 1

Summary from goodreads:
The Forge School is the most prestigious arts school in the country. The secret to its success:  every moment of the students' lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show, and the students' schedule includes twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance creativity. But when first year student Rosie Sinclair skips her sleeping pill, she discovers there is something off about Forge. In fact, she suspects that there are sinister things going on deep below the reaches of the cameras in the school. What's worse is, she starts to notice that the edges of her consciousness do not feel quite right. And soon, she unearths the ghastly secret that the Forge School is hiding—and what it truly means to dream there.
Things I Liked:
Intersting premise - I thought the idea of a reality TV show about students was quite believable - (so many reality TV shows on now).  I also liked the sinister feeling of how it progressed and how Rosie wondered about things and then found out about them.  It made a slow steady change from reality TV drama to disturbing psychological drama.  Also, weirdest. Ending. Ever.

Things I Didn't Like:
Seriously, the ending. I was wondering how on earth O'Brien was going to wrap the story up, because it was really interesting.  But the ending was just so out there.  It seemed really strange and almost disconnected to the whole previous story.  I'm baffled.  I guess there will probably be sequels? I thought it would be better as a stand alone, if a weirdly ending one. Not sure how interested in sequels I am right now.

Read-alikes:
Uh...maybe a touch like Variant by Robison Wells

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
to be honest, I don't remember there being a lot, but probably some :)

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
more creepy than gory

Overall rating: ** or ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Wasn't the ending frustrating? I do believe there is a sequel but I was so disgusted/upset by how she chose to end it that I refuse to read it on principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! The ending left me too mad to want the sequel :(

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I think the premise sounds so fascinating, but a horrible ending? I don't know if I can deal with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can't recommend it. Not sure it's worth the effort with that weird ending.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015