--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, June 7, 2010

Listless Monday, Girls in Disguise

Listless Monday was inspired by both Amanda at A Bookshelf Monstrosity's feature Books by Theme and Court at Once Upon a Bookshelf's Listed feature.  Be sure to check out their lists!

Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack Adventures)Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah SampsonRowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest

I'm super happy to be back with my Listless Mondays, though I'm posting rather later than usual today (long weekend with 48 Hour Book Challenge).  This week, I'm borrowing another idea from the yalsa-bk listserv (best idea-central ever).  This time, it is a list of books where girls dress as boys.  I thought it was an awesome idea, so here are some of the books suggested there and a few I came up with:

Girls in Disguise

Alanna by Tamora Pierce 
Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher
Anna Sunday by Sally M. Keehn
Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit
Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer 
The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (suggested by Brenda)
Crane by Jeff Stone
Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli
The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman 
Girl in Blue by Ann Rinaldi
A Golden Web by Barbara Quick
The Highwayman's Footsteps by Nicola Morgan
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hilgartner
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner
Nobody's Prize by Esther Friesner
Pirates! by Celia Rees 
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross (suggested by Suey)
Rowan Hood by Nancy Springer
Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy (an old favorite of mine!)
Soldier's Secret by Sheila Solomon Klass 
Sovay by Celia Rees
Star-Crossed by Linda Collison

Any additions?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

8 comments :

  1. I've only read Bloody Jack from this list and it was an OUTSTANDING book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. But it's a bit more involved than the girl just dressing up as a boy--there's magic involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. donna, I haven't read a lot of them either. I really need to get Bloody Jack, though, since I've heard such fabulous things about it!

    Claudia, thanks and welcome!

    Brenda, adding right now - nothing like a bit of magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pope Joan is a book that begs to be on this list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, you made a list that I've not read A SINGLE BOOK from! Wowsers.... better go fix that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suey, I haven't read that one but heard lots about it.

    Britt, I'm quite shocked myself - for some reason I thought you were a Tamora Pierce fan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about her books, but never actually read one, I don't think. Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, as soon as one of us finally takes the plunge on Pierce, we can rave to the other. (If raving is called for.)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015