--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Book Review: We the Children by Andrew Clements

We the Children by Andrew Clements
Publisher: Atheneum
Publication date: April 2010
ISBN: 9781416938866

Source: ARC provided by publisher

We the Children (Keepers of the School)

Ben is just your average sixth grade boy, until the custodian surprises him by handing over a coin from the founder of the school and entrusting the protection of the school to him.  Little does Ben realize that his school is in danger and he and an unlikely friend are the only ones who can save it.  All of this amidst the regular difficulties of his life - a sailing race against an enemy and dealing with the separation of his parents.

Things I Liked:
It was a fast-paced and very quick read.  The mystery that's introduced is intriguing and definitely makes you want to know what will happen next - especially since not much is told about it.  Also the action race at the end was entertaining and fun.  Most of the illustrations were just rough sketches, but the finished ones were fantastic!  I can see they will add a lot to the story and keep it moving along.  A great pick for reluctant readers, particularly boys.


Things I Didn't Like:
It was obviously an introduction to the series, where not a lot of information is given about the mystery and a whole lot of stuff was set up.  I thought maybe a little more info in this short book would have helped, but it will definitely grab kids' attention and make them want the next book!


Read-alikes:
A bit like the 39 Clues series by multiple authors


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen. 
If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. I reviewed this one for Amazon Vine, and was really disappointed--Andrew Clements is a great author for kids, but I felt like I got 1/3 of a book! I understand all the publishers are going for series these days, and they don't want the book too long, etc., but if I had purchased this one for my kids I would have really felt cheated. I just didn't think the book stood well on its own--more like an introduction to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fourth Musketeer, I totally agree - it was very short and didn't do much other than set it up. It was probably designed that way - suck them into the story and then end it so they must come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one sitting on my shelf and haven't read it yet. It looks good, but I really don't like first books that are just set ups for the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed it, but it was totally all setup. I want the next one, dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GreenBean, if you hate set up, you probably better wait until you have the second book right there. If it's as short as the first, it will be like reading one slightly longer book :)

    Britt, I know! How could they set us up like that?

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015