--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Library Loot (and Movie Obsessions)


I've been kind of in a library slump (again) and didn't get anything for a while.  But, suddenly, my holds are back in action.  Here they are this week:

The Beacon at Alexandria by Gillian Bradshaw
The Cardturner by Louis Sachar
Darklight by Lesley Livingston
Iron King by Julie Kagawa
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
Son of Shadows by Juliet Marillier (again - I swear I'll get to it this time!)
Harry Potter #5-7 by J.K. Rowling (on audio, we WILL finish this challenge if it kills us!)


I also got two for review:
We Shall Overcome by Stuart Stotts
Manifest by Artist Arthur


Photobucket
And since I spaced it last Saturday, I'm adding my A Bit of Me(Me) post (hosted at There's a Book) today (and probably another this Saturday - won't you just be sick of me and my personal info). 

This week, we are talking about our favorite movies.  I'm kind of sad to admit that my husband and I don't watch many movies - at least not new ones.  I thought it would be fun, though, to look at how my favorites have changed over time.  I used to be the kind of person who would obsess over a movie for a while and then find a new one to obsess about.  My first favorite movie (that I recall) is:


Sleeping Beauty (Two-Disc Platinum Edition)
Yes, Sleeping Beauty was the movie I would beg my parents to get every time we went to the rental store.  I've watched it a few times in my "old age" and realized - it ain't that great. :)

Next, I moved on to the "I adore this cute movie character phase"

Newsies (Collector's Edition)  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 
I would watch Newsies and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers over and over again.  To this day, I can still quote, sing, and probably dance both movies.  I was in love with Jack and Davey (and Spot) from Newsies and I probably picked a different brother to love each week from Seven Brides.  

Then, I went through my classic book turned movie phase, which lasted up until a few years ago.  During this time I adored:

Gone with the Wind (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Edition)  Jane Eyre (BBC, 1983)  Pride and Prejudice - The Special Edition (A&E, 1996) 
Sense & Sensibility (Special Edition)  Emma  The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] 
Actually, I still love most of these ones and would consider Pride and Prejudice and Lord of the Rings all-time favorites. 

And, for kicks, one of my more recent favorites is:


Amazing Grace
So, there you have it - my tastes over the years :)

Got a favorite movie to share or something good you got at the library?
If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

9 comments :

  1. I have a feeling we have some of the same books on hold at the same library! Too funny. (Iron King for example!)

    Ah, movies I love to many to name here in a lowly comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both! I just picked up Young Victoria from my library and am really excited to watch it. My mom saw it and said it was great. Have fun with your new books and movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah, Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite movie indulgences. Lately I've been watching the new BBC version of Wuthering Heights, mostly due to the yummy Tom Brady who plays Heathcliff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED One Crazy Summer!! Loved it!
    Here is my loot for today:
    http://www.gerberadaisydiaries.com/2010/06/library-loot_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, hopefully when I return them, you will get them :)

    Samantha, Young Victoria was just lovely!

    Bookshelf Monstrosity, I hadn't heard there was a new Wuthering Heights! I don't love the movies of that quite as much as Jane Eyre, but I do like to try them out.

    Gerbera, I've heard wonderful things about the book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the movie Amazing Grace. Thanks for reminding me about it -- I'd like to watch it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sleeping Beauty, I loved that movie but it was an an adult watching with my daugher. LOL. For just awhile I had her convinced it was made about me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Newsies--I loved that one. I'm with you on Pride and Prejudice and Lord of the Rings; those are two of my very favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie, I need to watch it again soon too!

    SenoraG, I think I had it immortalized in my childhood brain, but watching as an adult again, I was like "what? why is this my favorite?" :)

    Brenda, I think they are beloved of many, many people.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015