--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Book Review: Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

*e-copy of ARC provided by NetGalley*
Inside Out is what all scrubs are striving to get.  Trella is a scrub, the very bottom of Inside society.  Her job is to keep Inside's air and water pipes clean for the Upper level people - those with all the power and privilege.  She gets unwillingly swept into a plot to find Gateway, a mysterious exit to Outside that may or may not exist, she faces danger and detection at every turn.  Can she and some of her new friends outwit the powerful Trava family to overturn the control of Inside before she gets caught?

Inside Out (Harlequin Teen)

Things I Liked:
I really love the world Snyder created here.  Its mysterious and unique and terrifying.  I got caught up in the intrigue and the power struggles that go on in the story.  I kept waiting for each new detail that would explain where they were, what they were doing, how they got this way, and how they could get out.  Trella herself was kind of a difficult character - grumpy and unlikable, but you still find yourself rooting for her.  A great new sci-fi, futuristic series with the reluctant heroine main character.

"You can shoulder all the blame and become a martyr.  Provided anyone knows what or who you're martyring for.  Or you can accept that some things are important enough to fight for and realize there will be sacrifices along the way."  He peered into my eyes.  "I've assumed this is one of those important fights.  An effort to regain some of the freedoms we all lost.  I'm well aware of the danger, but am still committed to helping you.  You trust me and I need to trust you." p 155 (of the Arc)
"In fact, if I was honest with myself, I'd wanted to prove Broken Man wrong to save myself from hoping.  To give myself permission to not care about the scrubs.  So I could veiw them and treat them just like the Pop Cops did.  As sheep." p 207 (of the ARC)
Things I Didn't Like:
I admit to having a hard time understanding some of the details and explanations.  The language was sometimes not clear enough to follow.  Things at the end happened very quickly and ended suddenly.  I would have liked a little more development before the end.  


Read-alikes:
Felt like Incarceron by Catherine Fisher and The Maze Runner by James Dashner


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
some, not overwhelming


mrg-factor: X
implied, not really discussed


v-factor: ->->-> 

torture and fighting 

Overall rating: ****

Does reading post-apocalyptic or dystopian literature ever freak you out?  Are we really going to look like that in 50 or 100 years?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

1 comment :

  1. I have this one on my TBR list. I've really been enjoying dystopia, but sometimes it does make me a little nervous. I remember when I was reading Life As We Knew It, I kept feeling so surprised that the lights turned on--I got so immersed in the story.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015