--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, April 23, 2010

Book Review: Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox

Dreamhunter is what Laura's father Tziga is and wants her to become.  Tziga Hame was the discoverer of the Place - a location only certain people can enter and catch dreams to bring back for other people to experience.  It seems a beautiful and noble thing to do, and Laura and her cousin Rose are going to Try to see if they can enter the Place.  But, when Tziga goes missing, Laura discovers some things about the Place and her father that aren't as perfect as she thought.

Dreamhunter: Book One of the Dreamhunter Duet

Things I Liked:
It is a complex and unique story, full of twists and strange happenings.  I've really never read anything quite like it.  I enjoyed the characters, though sometimes I had a hard time understanding or relating to them.  The plot picks up a lot about half-way through and becomes very interesting.  I had a difficult time putting it down, because it really grabbed your attention and I keep thinking about its ideas and the very unique story.  Definitely one that will make you think.


Things I Didn't Like:
I admit I had a hard time getting into it for the first half of the book.  The writing seems very dry and sometimes not terribly clear in its explanations.  I never really connected with anyone, though I particularly love Nown.  While my interest is piqued, I admit it was mostly just ok for me.  Not amazingly fantastic, but not too dull.  I'll still be picking up the sequel, Dreamquake, to see how it ends.


Read-alikes:
It kinda felt spooky like The Giver by Lois Lowry

Premise reminded me of Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann (though I haven't read them)

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
one or two


mrg-factor: X
some slight innuendo


v-factor: ->
some terrifying parts


Overall rating: ***

Anybody else find themselves interested in too many series, even if the books aren't that great?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Melissa,

    Your response to this book is pretty much the same as mine. Very creative ideas-wise but I found it really hard to care about most of the characters. I always felt like I was on the outside, looking in at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie, did you read the second one? Was it about the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    I did read the second one and I did feel pretty much the same about it, but I still think it's worth reading "for the ideas". But I was disappointed given that it had won the Printz etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know it won a Printz honor! I'll have to read it carefully then.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015