--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 2, 2009

Book Review: The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

The Boy Who Daredis a fictionalized account of the last day of Helmuth Hubener's life. Helmuth was a young man living in Germany during World War II. His reminiscences of what led to his imprisonment and subsequent execution tell of a courageous and dedicated young man who wanted to share the truth with everyone.



I really had a hard time getting into this book. The third person perspective made it very difficult for the story to feel personalized. I thought it was a bit odd too, since it was supposed to be Helmuth remembering his past. However, the story itself is so powerful and Helmuth's courage so inspiring that I still found myself crying at the end. It has encouraged me to seek out some non-fiction about this amazing young man. My local librarian recommended this book for further study, written by one of Helmuth's friends. I am definitely checking it out.

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

Maybe one or two.

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->

Some beatings and other frightening things happen, but are not overdone.

Overall rating: **

2 comments :

  1. I really liked this book. Did you know that there is a movie coming out based on Helmuth's life. I can't wait to see it. I'm not sure when it will be released though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, didn't know about the movie - that should be excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015