--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Review: Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson


Retro Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Angie of Angieville and "focuses on reviewing books from the past. This can be an old favorite, an under-the-radar book you think deserves more attention, something woefully out of print, etc." 

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
Publisher: Yearling
Publication date: September 2006
ISBN: 9780385735957
Source: Audiobook downloaded from the library


Hattie Big Sky 

Hattie has lived all her life depending on the charity of family.  But, when her uncle leaves her a claim for land in Montana, she embarks on the adventure of a lifetime - trying to prove up that claim so she can keep the land.  She faces the deadly winter of Montana and the harsh life that the prairie can exact of its settlers.  Will she meet the deadline and will she be able to survive until then?

Things I Liked:
This story is fantastic!  I just fell in love with Hattie and I laughed and cried through everything she faced and overcame.  Her determination, her strength of character and will can inspire any person to do difficult things.  I've always had a soft spot for settler stories and this is a darn good one.  I especially loved the other stories she wove into this tale - the prejudice many fought against and the fear of foreigners during WWI.  Most stories show that during WWII, but not as many have it occurring during WWI as well.  A fantastic story that any historical fiction fan should read.  I was a big fan of the narrator in this audiobook (listened on the drive to Arizona while I was moving).  She really captured the character and spunk of Hattie. 


Things I Didn't Like:
Honestly, I just loved it.  The ending was a little bittersweet, but I think that was the best way to do it.  I didn't like the narrator's male voices very much, but since it was mostly Hattie, it didn't bother me too much.  Read it (or listen to it) if you haven't already!


Read-alikes:
Reminded me a little of These Is My Words by Nancy Turner

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingells Wilder (of course)
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: *****

June is audiobook month! Check out Devourer of Books awesome week-long celebration of audiobooks.  Got a favorite audiobook?
 
And don't forget to enter my two current giveaways - there's still time (Dark City by Catherine Fisher and Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier).

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

8 comments :

  1. I loved this book too. Hattie is an amazing character. I recently heard that a sequel is coming soon. I can't wait for her story to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this waiting for me on audio. I've heard so many good things about it, I can't wait until I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, a sequel? Oh I need it!

    Jen, I should have put her name in there, sorry. It's Kirsten Potter.

    Shelley, hooray! Hope you like it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love HATTIE BIG SKY. Just a great story all around. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I love discovering some "older" classic favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually seen another review of this one somewhere on the blogosphere. I really think I'd love it, too! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bailey, hope you get a chance to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015