--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Book Review: Leaving the Bellweathers by Kristin Clark Venuti

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.
Leaving the Bellweathers by Kristin Clark Venuti
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Publication date: September 2009
ISBN: 9781606840061
Source: Library


Leaving the Bellweathers

Tristan Benway, butler to the Bellweathers, has decided it's time to find a new position.  He's put up with dangerous animals inhabiting the lighthouse, tricks and antics from the obnoxiously loud triplets, and good deeds gone awry from their sister.  After all, there is only so much a respectable man can handle from this zany and incorrigible family, right?

Things I Liked:
This was a sweet, quirky, awesomely crazy middle grade read.  I adore the Bellweather family, complete with evil up-to-no-good whispering triplets, saving humanity sister, and endangered-dangerous-animal-lover brother.  This book inspired much laughter and made me want to be a kid again so I could love it properly.  A delightful romp that will make you think your family is very normal, even if the butler doesn't think so.  I loved this

Wanted: One gentleman possessed of nerves of steel and impeccable  organizational skills.  Applicant must know how to set a formal dining table as well as the best method of large-animal sedation.  Lunatic-asylum experience is helpful.  Interested parties please reply to Tristan Benway c/o Lighthouse on the Hill. p 68-69
Things I Didn't Like:
You know, I'm just going to stick with I loved every minute.  Sometimes being an adult can really be a drawback when enjoying a nice wacky kids book.  Hand this to your middle graders who like a bit of silliness.


Read-alikes:
Reminded me of Savvy and Scumble by Ingrid Law

Also a bit like the Secret series by Pseudonymous Bosch

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none
(unless being snapped at by an endangered albino alligator counts...)


Overall rating: *****

What's your favorite quirky kid book?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. LOVE this! Even reading the review made me smile. Straight to the to-buy list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, oh good! I hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015