--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Review: The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication date: July 2010
ISBN: 9780399250965

Source: Library

The Grimm Legacy

When Elizabeth gets a new job at a library full of objects, not books, she does not expect to be drawn into a mystery.  But, when she learns about the Grimm collection - a special collection of items straight out of the Grimm brother's fairy tales - she feels the powerful draw of those items.  She and her fellow workers must find out who is stealing and replacing with fakes the Grimm collection, before they end up disappearing or worse.

Things I Liked:
This book had a fun, lighthearted, and totally awesome premise!  I love the fairy tale connections and the fun that could be had from all those enchanted objects.  I also really loved the idea of having a repository (or library of sorts) for literary-related items.  I think that would be so cool.  The plot was also intriguing enough that I kept reading to find out what happened to the characters, not just for the Grimm descriptions.  Here is a favorite fun part:

"There weren't any cars back when the Brothers Grimm were collecting stuff. Maybe they thought about shoes a whole lot because they had to walk everywhere and their feet hurt."
"That's an interesting theory.  You think maybe other stuff was just as important, but the Grimm guys only noticed the shoe aspect?  Like, they missed whole stories about hats and scarves because their feet hurt?" p 148-149
Things I Didn't Like:
I have to admit that the characters felt a bit flat.  I wasn't as interested in them so much as the story and the awesome repository of magical objects.  Also, the ending felt rushed and a bit too easy.  It kind of left me feeling like things weren't completely explained.  Still, for its clever ideas and the fun plot, I enjoyed it overall.


Read-alikes:
A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

Sisters Grimm books by Michael Buckley
Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: X
just some serious kissing :)


v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

What kinds of literary objects would you like to "check out"?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I don't know why but pretty much any retelling of an old favorite I want to try so this one would be one I'd want to read too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amused, I'm pretty much the same way, though this isn't strictly what I'd call a retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this during my first semester of library science grad school, I grew up reading fairy tales, AND my name is Elizabeth.
    If I hadn't loved this book... I can't even imagine. But I loved it.
    I think I was either too busy looking at the library to notice the flat characters... or I rationalized, because fairy tale heroes are pretty flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably like it more if my name was Elizabeth too! :) I really loved the library - it almost made up for the characters.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015