--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Book Review: The Line by Teri Hall

The Line by Teri Hall
Publisher: Dial
Publication date: March 2010
ISBN: 9780803734661

Source: Library

The Line 


Rachel and her mother live in a remote area of the US, right near the Line, the edge of the known world.  The Line has been there as long as Rachel and her mother can remember, separating what they know and where they live from Away.  With a corrupt and controlling government that has taken many of their basic rights, being far from big cities is a good thing for them.  When Rachel finds a message that came from the other side of the Line, she must decide between what is right and what is safe.

Things I Liked:
This book had an intriguing premise, with a government that essentially cuts off everything outside of its borders and restricts the movements of its citizens.  I was intrigued by the history of how the Line came to be and how the rights of the US people were slowly stolen away.  I like the setting of the book and also the way Rachel's relationship with her mother changes over the course of the book.  


Things I Didn't Like:
For the most part, I was unimpressed with the book.  I thought there was too little explanation of how things were and how they got that way.  I found Rachel acted much younger than a teenager in the book.  Her relationship with her mom felt much more like something a tween or younger would feel.  I was quite disappointed with the ending, too.  It felt like there was not any kind of closure to the story.  I can tell there is probably an expected sequel, but there should be some amount of wrapping up in the book.  After all the build up, things went very smoothly at the end, with very little trouble.  I think that the main thing it could have used was more detail.  Basically, it just wasn't for me.  


Read-alikes:
The Giver by Lois Lowry

Gone by Michael Grant
Candor by Pam Bachorz

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
very minor details


Overall rating: **

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I agree! There was so much potential. I felt like she was too naive also and the ending was blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corinne, I'm so glad I'm not alone! I've seen lots of people who loved it and figured I was missing out on something. At least I know there are others who missed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about this one. I was initially drawn to the story, but I've heard a bunch of iffy reviews. I agree that a book should at least wrap up most things, even if there is a sequel. I dislike it when the book just ends right in the middle with no closure. Bad characters is the final nail in the coffin for me. I need to really connect to my characters. Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small Review, I've heard people both love it and feel like me, that it didn't live up to its premise. So funny how we can all have such differing opinions!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015