--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: Candle Man, Book 1: The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance by Glenn Dakin

*ARC provided by publisher*
Candle Man, Book One: The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance is the tale of Theo, who has definitely not had a typical childhood.  Theo has led a very sheltered life, with excursions outside the house limited to visits to the graveyard and other places where he will never come in contact with other people.  His whole world consists of only three acquaintances, because of his mysterious "illness."  Theo's life changes drastically when he finds himself escaping his "home" and running with strangers from the only place he's ever known.  As more secrets are revealed, about himself, his former care takers, and his new friends, Theo is caught up into a dangerous and ancient rivalry that forces him to choose sides and fight for his life.

Candle Man, Book One: The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance

Things I Liked:
Thus begins a fun new series full of interesting adventures, clever dialog, quirky characters, and strange creatures.  I found the sarcasm at times humorous, but also annoying.  I think kids will really enjoy this series that combines superhero adventures, fantastical creatures, and an intriguing mystery all into one great story.
"A world where only the chosen few will suffer the worries of power and the burden of riches.  A world where the ordinary man will enjoy the virtues of poverty, and the bliss of slavery.  And, under our guidance, this nation will command a vast, docile Empire, as it once did!" p 50 (ARC)
Things I Didn't Like:
At times it felt rather violent for younger ages.  It also was a little odd and hard to follow what exactly was happening.  I have high hopes for the sequel, though.

Read-alikes:
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester
A little like Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->
quite a bit, some of it a little gory

Overall rating: ****

Do you prefer your (literary) villains to be obvious or subtle?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. Love your ratings system! That is a great idea. This sounds like an interesting book, too. I don't know about this comment challenge - my desk is getting papered with post-it notes of books I want to read! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaymie, thanks! I know what you mean - my pile only gets longer anytime I read new blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read more books like this. I prefer subtle literary villains...I think they can be scarier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline, I think I do too. They are closer to real life when they are subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I've wondered about this book.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015