--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Book Review: The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

The Demon King is an evil figure from distant past that seems to still be affecting the lives of people in the Seven Realms today.  Han Alister, former thief and all-around misfit, has the misfortune of obtaining an amulet that has a deadly history leading back to the Demon King.  Princess Raisa, meanwhile, is dealing with the limitations of her position as princess heir.  In addition to these burdens, she begins to feel a threat to her kingdom that has roots stretching back to the time of the Demon King.  When their paths cross, things become even more complicated and the Demon King is at the heart of it all.

The Demon King (A Seven Realms Novel)


Things I Liked:
Chima has done it again - creating a new world and setting up a rip-roaring great story to go with it!  I love how detailed and complicated and convoluted the storyline gets.  She has made a world that feels very much alive and has a huge untapped history behind it that we get just little glimpses of, to tease us.  It makes me hungry for more!

Things I Didn't Like:
Initially, I had a bit of a hard time with all the new fantasy elements being introduced.  It seems like a lot to take in all at once, but then you just fall into it and can't get back out!

Read-alikes:
Definitely like the Heir Trilogy by Chima
A little like Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore
It reminded of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien with its fabulous historical feel

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
some throughout

mrg-factor: XX
innuendo and references, not graphic

v-factor: ->->
some street fighting

Overall rating: ****

Do you like fantasy with a base in the real world or something that doesn't resemble the real world at all?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Great review. I love this book, one of my favorites from 2009. I like fantasy in fake worlds, rarely have a found a good fantasy that takes place in the real world. I think it puts limits on authors, whereas if they create their own world they can do whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, I'm kind of split on the two. Sometimes having a few reminders of the real world can give it a more realistic feel. But, it is true authors have more room for play with their own worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son loved the Heir Trilogy (and they're on my list to read) -- we're both excited to hear about another Chima book! Thanks as always for your great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle, I hope you both enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015