--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Kralice Bible Museum

The last bookish place we visited in the Czech Republic was the Kralice Bible Museum.



It was here that a secret printing press was used to create the first Czech translation of the Bible, known as the Bible of Krelice (pronounced, I think, kruh-leets-uh). The Bibles on display date mostly from the 16th and 17th centuries.





They also have a working replica of the printing press used there and some other religious volumes from the same time period.



Hymnals




I really loved the beautiful works of art books used to be (instead of just pages of words, which, obviously, I still love)




click to enlarge (you won't be sorry)

Sigh. I need to find more places like this to visit. Though, perhaps a little closer to home.

2 comments :

  1. Those are cool. That print must have taken a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Can you imagine? I think it was worth the product, though.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015