--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

BBAW Day 2: Book Review: The Possibility of Everything by Hope Edelman


Since I TOTALLY dropped the ball in getting myself signed up for a blogger interview swap, I will instead be posting my review of this fabulous book that is being released TODAY!

*ARC provided by the publisher*


The Possibility of Everythingchronicles Hope's experiences dealing with the sudden appearance of her daughter Maya's rather frightening imaginary friend, along with doubts in her life and marriage. When their family takes a trip to Belize, she makes an extraordinary decision to see a shaman healer that changes their lives forever.



Things I Liked:
I loved the religious/faith/philosophical ideas that are explored in the book. Edelman does a beautiful job of bringing her experiences to life - her writing is really gorgeous. I enjoyed the everyday things that happened, her interactions with Maya and Uzi. I was really astounded at how connected I felt to her and her family. The story arc surrounding Maya was really intriguing as well. I loved the ending - I thought it was a great (though perhaps not unexpected) conclusion to their remarkable experiences. I really appreciated throughout the honest depictions of her feelings - it must be really difficult sometimes to tell things as she really felt and experienced them. A beautiful family-strengthening story! Even if you're not a mother, I think you will find something in this story that will help you grow!

Things I Didn't Like:
Some of the tangents she seemed to go off on were a little distracting - describing some aspects of "unrelated" things a little too much. Sometimes I had a hard time reading through the parts that didn't immediately relate to the story. Some of them contributed more to the experience than others, though.

Read-alikes:
I haven't read a lot of stuff like this, but it reminded me of other mother-child stories I read in The Mother in Me edited by Kathryn Lynard Soper

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
a moderate amount of swearing

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

If you haven't seen this video, I found it a perfect addition to the book - photos of Edelman's family!

4 comments :

  1. Oooh, a scary imaginary friend... like that episode of Star Trek (TNG)!

    Okay, probably not like that, but that's what it made me think of.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt, I wish I'd seen that episode! I guess it wasn't scary so much as weird and creepy (which sounds scary).

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D
    In the episode, the imaginary friend was really an alien that tried to destroy the adults on the ship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...well, the imaginary friend is pretty violent!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015