--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: A Mutiny in Time by James Dashner

Infinity Ring Book 1: A Mutiny in Time by James Dashner
Publisher: Scholastic Audio
Publication date: August 2012
Length: 4 hrs, 30 min
Source: Audiobook from Library
For: Fun!
Series: Infinity Ring, Book 1

When Dak and Sera unintentionally discover the secret to time travel, they are swept up into something much bigger than they imagined. The mysterious Hystorians ask them to join their ranks and help to save history, which has gone completely awry.

Things I Liked:
Definitely this book will appeal to younger kids and tweens.  I had too many of my adult sensibilities on when I listened to it, so I got annoyed often, but I can see it appealing to younger readers, with its humor and action.  I liked the idea behind the books as well - that these kids travel back in time to fix things that went wrong with history.  It's a great way to learn history while enjoying it a good story.  I liked Dak and Sera and find their interactions to be entertaining and realistic.  The story was fun too - saving Christopher Columbus from a mutiny.  I managed to overlook most of the logistical issues with time travel and history and enjoy the book.  The narrator, Dion Graham, really played it up for kids too - his voices were pretty fun, if over the top at times.


Things I Didn't Like:
As I mentioned, some things really annoyed the adult in me.  The kids acted stupidly, the jokes were just plain silly (which, you know, is how I liked them as a kid...and sometimes even now).  I had issues with how on earth the Hystorians would have "figured out" what needed to be fixed in time.  How would they really know any different?  But, ignoring these things, it was entertaining from beginning to end.


Read-alikes:
39 Clues series by various authors

Missing series by Margaret Peterson Haddix

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
a little bit during the mutiny

Overall rating: ***

What kids books does your adult brain interfere with?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. I liked the twist of fixing the past too. So many time travel novels try not to mess with it so that was kind of fun. I had a lot of the same thoughts you did - entertaining, but a little too immature for me. Did you ever play the game? It was mostly fun with a few tedious mini-games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yeah most time travel books are very careful not to mess around with what happens!

      I haven't played the game, I'm not sure I would enjoy it, but I might just to see what it's like :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015