--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication date: September 2012
Pages: 416
Source: Purchased
For: Fun
Series: Girl of Fire and Thorns, Book 2

*Spoilers are inevitable for Book 1, The Girl of Fire and Thorns*
Elisa achieved a victory for her country, but things didn't calm down even after defeating the army of sorcerors. There are those who would like to see her removed from the throne - those from outside her country and those within. She sets off on a dangerous journey, to find a way to conquer her own power from the Godstone. Can she complete this quest, or will she be betrayed before she even arrives at her destination?

Things I Liked:
Oh how happy I was to find this book did not suffer from any sequel-itis problems.  The story was absolutely exciting and managed to be almost independent of what happened in the first book.  I loved watching Elisa continue to grow in different ways - learn how to be a queen and take charge of what needs to happen in her kingdom.  I was once again completely captivated by the fantasy world and fell right back into it as if I'd never left.  I highly recommend this series if you are looking for fantasy with a smart, flawed heroine and a complex world complete with a bit of romance too.

Things I Didn't Like:
Not much I can think of.  The journey's end kind of left me a bit disappointed and confused, but not enough to ruin it for me.  It made sense in a way.  And left me eager to know what will happen in the next book.


Read-alikes:
Start with The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none
that I recall :)

mrg-factor: X
nothing on page, but it's talked about a bit

v-factor: -> 
some rather violent things happen, but not described in detail

Overall rating: *****

What's your favorite sequel that seems to tell its own story?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015