--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Book Review: The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturdayis the unique and funny story of four sixth graders, chosen by their teacher to be the Academic bowl team. The story deftly weaves together the paths of each of these kids and how they cross, with the current success of the bowl team. So, how did Mrs. Olinsky know just which students to choose for the team? You'll have to read it to find out.

The View from Saturday

Things I Liked:
I just adored the characters in this book! They are quirky and funny and just plain real. Konigsburg has a way of writing stories that literally bring them to life! The mystery elements kept me searching for clues and waiting anxiously to know just how this dynamic team was brought together. This is children's literature at its best.

Things I Didn't Like:
Sometimes there seemed to be too many characters and stories going on. I didn't really have a hard time keeping up, but maybe younger kids would.

Read-alikes:
Definitely try From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweileralso by Konigsburg
It reminded me of The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt and The Schwa was Here by Neal Shusterman

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: *****

4 comments :

  1. This is one of my favorite books! I think I even like it a little better than From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I think it must be the characters-- they're so interesting and quirky and fun, but not over-the-top and ridiculous.

    I don't think I had a problem with the different POVs, but I was probably around 15 when I first read AVFS so maybe that had something to do with it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia, I think the characters totally make the book. Maybe when we were teenagers, we had multiple POVs in our heads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do need to read a Konigsburg book at some point. So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brimful, this is the great dilemma of pretty much every bookworm's life!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015