--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Book Review: A Circle of Souls by Preetham Grandhi

*ARC provided by the author*
A Circle of Soulsis a gripping mystery that brings together several seemingly unrelated stories into one complete tale. When a child is found murdered in the small town of Newbury, an expert FBI agent is called in to investigate. In the nearby psychiatric ward of the hospital, Naya, a seven-year-old girl is having disturbing visions of the murdered child. These events draw a circle of souls together into a thrilling conclusion.



Things I Liked:
This was a book I couldn't put down. I had to keep reading, to know what happened next. It definitely kept me interested and yearning for more. I don't usually pick up thrillers or murder stories, but this one went light(er) on the gory details and more about the psychology and feelings of all the people involved. I loved Grandhi's treatment of the children in the story - it was compassionate and understanding.

Things I Didn't Like:
I was put off by some of the awkward phrasing and dialog, but it couldn't distract me for long from the story. I also got a little thrown off on some of the issues introduced very near the end that almost seemed too far-fetched. I like paranormal, but Dr. Gram's story was almost too different to fit in with the rest. Because it was an ARC, there were also some grammar and formatting issues that I assume were taken care of before the final printing.

Read-alikes:
I haven't read a lot in this genre, but it seemed similar in some ways to The Lovely Bonesby Alice Sebold

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
surprisingly few

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->->
I wouldn't call these details overly gory, but they were sometimes disturbing.

Overall rating: ***

2 comments :

  1. Nice review! I really enjoyed this one. I still haven't read The Lovely Bones so I need to check that one out.

    I added a link to your review on mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa. I look forward to hearing what you thought of The Lovely Bones. I actually really disliked it, but most people think it is great.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015