--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top [fill in the blank] Favorite Reads of 2010

You know, I really struggle to pick a perfect number of books that fit such a category as "favorites" or "best."  So, I figured I'd just list the books that I loved this year and sort of not care about the numbers.  I did manage to group them into categories (and subcategories) though!

Young Adult Books
Fantasy/Paranormal:
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth Bunce
Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
White Cat by Holly Black
The Lost Saint by Bree Despain

Dystopian:
Incarceron and Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
Inside Out by Maria Snyder 

Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien 
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Matched by Ally Condie
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


Contemporary/Realistic Fiction:
Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams


Middle Grade Books
Fantasy/Steampunk:
The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel
The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge
Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Historical Fiction:
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick
Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson 


Contemporary/Realistic:
Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor

Nonfiction Books
Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman
The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett


Adult Books
Fantasy/Paranormal/Dystopian:
Daughter of the Forest and Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


Historical Fiction:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley


Rereads (I figure if I loved it enough to reread it, it should be a favorite)
Harry Potter 1-6 by J.K. Rowling (on audio)
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester 

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer 
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld 

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare 
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

2010 Great Series Ends:
Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner (A Conspiracy of Kings)
Last Survivors series by Susan Beth Pfeffer (This World We Live In)
Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness (Monsters of Men)
Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (Mockingjay)
Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull (Keys to the Demon Prison)
Glass series by Maria V. Snyder (Spy Glass)
Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong (The Reckoning)
Incarceron duology by Catherine Fisher (Sapphique)

2010 Great Series Starts:
Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare (Clockwork Angel)
Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa (The Iron King, The Iron Daughter)
Curse Workers series by Holly Black (White Cat)
The Agency series by Y.S. Lee (A Spy in the House, The Body at the Tower)
Inside Out series by Maria Snyder (Inside Out)

It is apparent that I either really enjoy fantasy (true) or I don't read enough of anything else (probably true).  Also, I was kind of surprised I had no YA historical fiction favorites.  I don't think I read many of them, but hopefully it isn't because I don't generally like that particular flavor of YA.  And creating this post made me realize that I have some 30+ reviews from 2010 that are waiting to be posted - some of them favorites!  Gotta get moving.  

What are your favorites, top ten, or best of 2010?


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

8 comments :

  1. I wasn't all that interested in A Curse Dark as Gold, even though I had seen a number of positive reviews. I just finished StarCrossed though, and I loved that book so much. I think I might pick up A Curse Dark as Gold now, especially seeing as it's on your list.

    Some of my favorites last year (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch) were:
    Brightly Woven, by Alexandra Bracken
    Princess of the Midnight Ball, by Jessica Day George
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary E. Pearson
    Paranormaly, by Kiersten White

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small Review, I've been meaning to read StarCrossed for some time now. I hope you get a chance to pick up Curse Dark as Gold, cause I just loved it. I really enjoyed Brightly Woven too - so many I wanted on my favorites list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've group them. Now, I need to get busy and read them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really got into John Green this year: Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska. Plus I put The Shining by Stephen King at the top of my list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, I've been kind of avoiding other people's best of lists so I don't add a million books :)

    Nosilas, I have only read one John Green (sad, I know). Is it ok to admit that Stephen King scares me and I'll probably never read a book of his? Or is that just too embarrassing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We liked so many of the same books this year! Plus, I was able to add a few new ones to look forward to :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah I love these favorite of 2010 lists! Yours is wonderful and quite similar to mine, actually :)

    My best reads of 2010:

    1) Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane (WOW this one was amazing!)
    2) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    3) Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    4) Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
    5) The Thief & The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
    -I'm still putting off King of Attolia because it's too good!
    6) Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready
    7) Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
    8) White Cat by Holly Black
    9) Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
    10) Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corinne, thanks! Hope you find new favorites :)

    Lexa, great picks! Some I've never heard of and am now adding to The List. I LOVE Queen's Thief series - King of Attolia is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015