--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Review: The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick
Publisher:Scholastic (Blue Sky Press)
Publication date: January 1, 2009
ISBN: 9780439668187
Source: Library 

Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg (Newbery Honor Book)

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg might seem a little unbelievable at first.  But, when Homer sets off on his own, following his brother who was sold into the Union Army, he manages to find trouble right off.  Along the way, Homer will encounter bounty hunters, underground railroad workers, swindlers, spies, and plenty of hogs.  He also finds that bending the truth is sometimes the best way to get by.

Things I Liked:
This book was so funny!  I fell in love with Homer and the way he thinks.  Things actually seem a little bit simpler when you view them through his eyes.  Despite his sometimes tragic or harrowing experiences, he manages to see things in a fairly positive way.  I loved the stories of his adventures finding his brother and also the way Civil War history is neatly hidden in the stories.  A fun book - one that will appeal to boys and historical fiction fans and anyone who likes to laugh.  Here are some laughs:

"Our mother was a kindly schoolmarm and taught us to speak proper, so I can't tell you exactly what I think of Squinton Leach, but it approximates what I think of a rabid skunk, or scabs on my backside, or a bad toothache." p 8
"Thinking on the dead and moaning ghosts and such, and wishing I had something to eat so I could forget about being hungry and concentrate on better reasons to be miserable." p20
Things I Didn't Like:
A few times I wondered if the book was implying that lying or stretching the truth was good.  I don't think so, but I did pause a few times and think about it.


Read-alikes:
Reminded me of Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Also A Long Way From Chicago and A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->
a battle scene or two, as well as wounded soldiers


Overall rating: ****

Any books you know of where you learn history without even realizing it?

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

7 comments :

  1. I really liked this one and thought it was a great intro to historical fiction-especially those readers who might shy away from the genre. Homer was lots of fun and it is a funny story which I think will appeal to lots of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this one tickled my funny bone (and I was surprised how much I liked it), but I can see how all the lying could be a bit questionable... Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GBTQ, I just wish I had more people to recommend it to!

    Melissa, I think I was a bit surprised too. Totally enjoyable, despite its lying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came home with it from the library based on your rec!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerbera, I hope it's great for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the rec -- this was delightful. Even better -- I finished it in 1 day!

    http://gerberadaisydiaries.blogspot.com/2010/05/book-review-mostly-true-adventures-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It really was so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015