--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Book Review: Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams

Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication date: June 2010
ISBN: 9781416997306

Source: Library

Glimpse

Hope and her sister Lizzie have always looked out for each other.  Since their father died, and their mother is fairly absent, they protect one another and provide comfort and companionship.  But, when Lizzie is institutionalized because of a suicide attempt, Hope is devastated and determined to figure out why.  What she uncovers, one piece at a time, rips her apart.  But, she has to figure all of it out and be able to talk about it in order to save Lizzie.

Things I Liked:
Gorgeous, rending, painful, enlightening, real, bitter, absolutely heartbreaking.  So well done, so awful, yet so beautiful.  I don't read a lot of free verse novels, but this one might be enough to get me reading more.  The ending made it all worth the pain of reading it.  Hope was very aptly named and I love the part she played in the book.  I loved the sisters and their relationship - to take care of each other was the most important thing.  I also really liked how Hope was dealing with all of these tragic and difficult things, but still having relatively normal teen experiences - kissing games and parties and liking boys.  It kept things from becoming too dark and too hard.  Another amazing, difficult, beautiful book for Williams.  Not for nothing was this on my favorites of 2010 list.  Some favorite parts:

Don't let them take me,
Hope,
Liz says,
don't let them take me.
Her voice
pierces me in the chest,
right under 
the breastbone.
And my heart, 
right then and there,
rips in half.
I can feel the weepy 
tear in it. p 50
I remember how,
when I was little,
I had thought she was pretty.
The prettiest momma in all the world.
Now everything about her is 
ugly.
And I wonder,
will I ever feel the same
about her again? p 447
Things I Didn't Like:
Don't expect to get through this one without your tissues and a broken heart.  If you are feeling sad already, pick up something light-hearted first.


Read-alikes:
Reminded me of Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor

Also, Everything is Fine and This is What I Did: by Ann Dee Ellis
Probably like Ellen Hopkins' books (though I haven't read any)

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few


mrg-factor: X
some very disturbing parts, nothing graphic


v-factor: ->
a few things, some mature incidents and attempted suicide


Overall rating: *****

Why is it that some of the most powerful books are also the hardest to read?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015