--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, February 2, 2009

Book Review: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

The Last Lectureis a beautiful collection of wisdom and humor from Randy Paush's last lecture. Professors are often asked to give what was called a "last lecture," to share their thoughts about life and what they would want to be their last words. Randy, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and with only a few months of health remaining, finds new meaning and purpose behind his last lecture.

The Last Lecture

I absolutely loved this book! All of the praise is correct, as far as I'm concerned. Every section discussed some of Pausch's thoughts on life and each one seemed remarkably true and intelligent. I tried to pick just one or two gems from throughout the book, but I just couldn't narrow it down. Perhaps what impressed me the most was Pausch's outlook on life - he was positive throughout while still acknowledging the sorrow and difficulty of his situation. I also really loved how everything was always about his family - his wife and three young children. They are the most important things to him. Now, if only we could gain the perspective of a terminal patient without having the terminal part. I think that is one purpose for writing a book like this.

RATINGS:
s-factor: !

A few, not overwhelming.

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: *****

4 comments :

  1. I have been on the waiting list for this book for 2 months! I'm really looking forward to reading the book now after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to wait a long time too, but it was soooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, too. My husband was also very touched by the lecture and story. (And he's not a touched kind of guy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cami, perhaps it is just that kind of story. I also think it might be because it was written by a guy :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015