--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Book Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Speak
Publication date: October 2010
ISBN: 9780142419809
Source: ARC provided by publisher


 Calla has always been alpha to her pack.  She knows what is required of her and that her union with Ren is inevitable.  But when Shay Doran shows up in her life and just keeps coming, she begins to question duty and the way things have always been run.  Will she be able to figure out what is true and who to trust before it is too late?

Things I Liked:
I really liked the Guardian/Keepers/Searchers mythos.  The dynamics, history, and ideas behind these paranormals was so intriguing, definitely helping it stand above the pack (ha ha).  I loved when she was learning about what might or might not be true in her world and the fact that she has to start questioning everything she's been told.  The wolf pack aspect was pretty fun too - I liked how Cremer developed them and how they relied upon one another.  Also, the second half of the book, once the action picks up, was certainly pulse-pounding and thrilling.  Lots of good stuff ahead for this paranormal series (which, yes, I'm very behind on).


Things I Didn't Like:
What I really disliked the most was the romance.  It wasn't that they fell in love at first sight either.  It was a pretty good triangle, for the most part.  I just didn't like Ren or Shay.  I thought the first half of the book was Calla going from one to the other and not being able to resist either one's advances.  She'd kiss one and melt and then go to the other and repeat the same thing.  Honestly, I got tired of it.  I wanted her to leave both of them behind.  Also, some of the plot points were super obvious to me from the start.  There were a few twists I didn't see coming, but much of it I had figured out very early on.  Still, the ending left me intrigued and I'd like to see what happens next.


Read-alikes:
Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr

Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
some throughout, no f-words


mrg-factor: XXX
it is a very sensual book, so lots of incidents


v-factor: ->->
those wolves know how to fight


Overall rating: *** bordering on **** 


What do you think, should I keep reading the series?  Do the love interests get better?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. I haven't even started this series. Now I don't feel so bad cause you're behind too. ;) I hope the romance doesn't ruin the rest of the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second book Wolfsbane is even better than Nightshade, this coming from a person who loved Nightshade. Trust me you should really keep reading, you won't be sorry that you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, don't we have opposite tastes in romance? :) Hope it works better for you.

    Alexa, thanks for the advice, I'll probably get to it...sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think the nightshade and wolfsbane at first are really boring then towards the middle it gets really exiting!!!!!!! Wolfsbane is a little more boring than nightshade but overall it's a great book. I can't wait for the third of the Wolfshade series to come out if there is going to be one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't picked up the second book Wolfsbane yet, but I'm still interested in reading it. And yes, there is a third book, Bloodrose I believe it's called.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015