--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book Review: Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Brisingris the third installment in the Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon and Eldest being the first and second). During this book, Eragon and Saphira recover from defeat in their last battle and try to discover how they can possibly defeat Galbatorix. Roran (Eragon's cousin) becomes more important to the story and the Varden go on the offensive.



Honestly, there is no way for me to really sum up the story of a third installment in a series that was this long. I thought there was a lot of extra stuff that was unnecessary and just made the story drag on. Perhaps Paolini has uses for all of it, but I kept getting annoyed at its length. I found this to be true in all of his books thus far. When I finally get down to the most exciting (and important) parts of the story, I am hooked. I think his ideas and stories are amazing, but he just loves too many side plots and too many long, descriptive words. All that said, I am dying for the last book. (As with most series books, I still think the first was the best, story-wise.)

RATINGS:
s-rating: !

There is some language, but for the most part, they are made-up swear words.

mrg-rating: none.
Though there is a wedding, nothing is described.

v-rating: ->->->
Yeah, it's got the violence. I didn't find it gory or too descriptive, but there is a lot of fighting.

Overall rating: ****

3 comments :

  1. I agree Paolini takes a long time to get to his point and there seems to be lots of meandering especially in this one. I liked it overall because I like the series, but really I can't wait for it to be over.

    I personally thought some of the violence was a little over the top especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay let me finish that last thought, my kids distracted me.

    especially the part when his cousin killed over a 100 people in hand to hand combat. I didn't see the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cari, I can agree that the violence was sometimes just there for the shock value or something else not necessary. I am also just waiting for the series to finish, for the ending. He could use a very strong editor!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015