--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Book Review: Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication date: August 2010
ISBN: 9780316034470
Source: Library


Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, Book 2)

Lia has been working on how to stop Samael from entering this world and destroying everything ever since she left her home in New York.  With the companionship of Sonia, she's been searching for the other two keys that will help her stop Samael forever.  She learns that not only is her sister Alice getting much more powerful, she is also trying to steal James, the man Lia had to leave behind.  Lia must do everything she can to get the final pages of the prophecy that will tell her how to stop Samael before she and everyone she cares about gets killed.

Things I Liked:
I love the spooky and Gothic feel of the story.  There seems to be so much of a mythical background and history to the prophecy, Grigori, and Sisterhood that I can't get enough of it from one book.  I love that while it may not be about true historical facts, it reads like a historical fiction book with some fantasy elements.  The story was intriguing and I am dying to find out what is in store for Lia and Alice, not to mention the rest of the people I've come to care about.  A mysterious and dark book with enough excitement and surprise to keep you reading.  I'm excited for the next book!


Things I Didn't Like:
I was really annoyed with Lia for most of this book.  She was so, so naive throughout.  She just kept doing stupid things, sometimes even knowing they were stupid, and then needing to be saved by someone else.  I was so happy in the end when she finally figured out that she had to save herself.  In that sense, it showed her progression from annoying to less annoying.  


Read-alikes:
Dreamhunter duet by Elizabeth Knox


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
maybe one or two


mrg-factor: X
some mild parts and references


v-factor: ->
a few fight scenes, not too much


Overall rating: **** 

I like a good plain historical fiction, but I just love historical fantasy! Do you prefer it plain or with a little embellishment?
If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015