--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review: Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter

Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Publication date: June 2010
ISBN: 9781423128205
Source: Library


Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls)

Cammie was not prepared to face the dangers of being a real-life spy in her junior year at school.  But, when a frightening incident in London reveals a trusted friend as a double agent, she must face the facts that she doesn't know who to trust anymore.  Being under constant surveillance takes its toll on her desire to hide, but she must find out just why she's being targeted, before its too late.

Things I Liked:
These books are always good for a little spy action mixed with teenage girl fun and a dash of humor.  I love reading them, essentially, because they are so fun and fluffy.  I have been really impressed, though, that Carter has managed to bring us around to serious issues in this book.  She developed a story line that came out in later books that I certainly didn't notice in the first seemingly-fluffy books.  They have a depth now that makes them even more interesting to me.  At the end of this one, I was begging for more action.  Here's a few of my favorite parts:

I wanted her to stop looking at me as a spy and start talking to me as a girl, but Gallagher Girls are only exceptional because we're both - all the time.  p 133
In the clandestine services, nothing ever happens quickly (except when it does).  Nothing is ever, ever easy (except when it is).  And, most of all, nothing ever goes perfectly according to plan (except in the movies). p 161
It is a little-known fact about covert operations that you will spend a lot of time with people you can't really trust.  They many be traitors and liars.  We call them assets or informants.  But mostly, in those days, I called him Zach. p 212
Things I Didn't Like:
If you manage to suspend your disbelief for the reading, it is really fun.  If you can't, it becomes ridiculously unbelievable.  Also, the spy/teenage girl jokes can wear a little thin.  I recommend reading only one of these books at a time.


Read-alikes:
Read the other books in the Gallagher Girls series first

Heist Society by Ally Carter is also similar in style, obviously

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none
just kissing


v-factor: ->
a few minor incidents, surprisingly, since they're in constant peril


Overall rating: ****

What do you read for fluffy fun?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. These books are a lot of fun. I like the Gallagher Girls series more than Heist Society. It is over the top but most spy stories are that way. It just adds to the fun :)

    I really like the way the stories are becoming a little more serious. I'm enjoying the developments with Zach's character especially. I can't wait to find out what happens next! Too bad there doesn't seem to be a new book on the horizon for awhile. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina T, I was really enjoying the more serious turn too! I was hoping the next book would be coming sooner rather than later...darn!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015