--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Book Review: Rivals in the City by Y.S. Lee

Rivals in the City by Y.S. Lee
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication date: March 2015
Pages: 304
Source: e-book from library
For: Fun
Series: The Agency, Book 4

Summary (from goodreads):*Spoilers are inevitable for the first three books*
Mary Quinn has a lot on her mind. James Easton, her longtime love interest, wants to marry her; but despite her feelings, independent-minded Mary hesitates. Meanwhile, the Agency has asked Mary to take on a dangerous case: convicted fraudster Henry Thorold is dying in prison, and Mary must watch for the return of his estranged wife, an accomplished criminal herself who has a potentially deadly grudge against James. Finally, a Chinese prizefighter has arrived in town, and Mary can’t shake a feeling that he is somehow familiar. With the stakes higher than ever, can Mary balance family secrets, conflicting loyalties, and professional expertise to bring a criminal to justice and find her own happiness?
Things I Liked:
I feel like this one wasn't as good to me as the previous three, possibly because I'd forgotten much of what went on in those books.  I liked the dynamic between Mary and James and how she wanted to be independent and to be loved as well.  She was definitely not like many women of her time.  The mystery was pretty good too, though I'm kind of slow at picking up things, so it's quite possible it was easy to guess from the first.  I enjoy the books mostly for Mary.

Things I Didn't Like:
I thought there were some tangents and other things that kind of distracted from the main plot and characters, but still enjoyed it.

Read-alikes:
Start with A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none
that I recall

mrg-factor: none
some kissing

v-factor: ->
some intense parts

Overall rating: ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

6 comments :

  1. I've always wondered about this series. So far I haven't been persuaded to try it. :( Im glad you're liking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You kind of have to be in the right mood. Maybe someday!

      Delete
  2. I somehow missed that the fourth book was out. I love this series! I'm worried I won't remember enough from the first three also. But I'm still excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a hard time remembering, but kind of kept going anyway :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy this series, but it's been a long time since I read the first two (maybe three?) books. I'd probably have to re-read them before moving on with the series. I really shouldn't read series until they're finished, so I can binge-read them from start to finish without forgetting anything in between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on binge reading a series. I forget stuff from a couple of months ago, let alone years!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015