Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication date: September 2012
Pages: 416
Source: Purchased
For: Fun
Series: Girl of Fire and Thorns, Book 2

*Spoilers are inevitable for Book 1, The Girl of Fire and Thorns*
Elisa achieved a victory for her country, but things didn't calm down even after defeating the army of sorcerors. There are those who would like to see her removed from the throne - those from outside her country and those within. She sets off on a dangerous journey, to find a way to conquer her own power from the Godstone. Can she complete this quest, or will she be betrayed before she even arrives at her destination?

Things I Liked:
Oh how happy I was to find this book did not suffer from any sequel-itis problems.  The story was absolutely exciting and managed to be almost independent of what happened in the first book.  I loved watching Elisa continue to grow in different ways - learn how to be a queen and take charge of what needs to happen in her kingdom.  I was once again completely captivated by the fantasy world and fell right back into it as if I'd never left.  I highly recommend this series if you are looking for fantasy with a smart, flawed heroine and a complex world complete with a bit of romance too.

Things I Didn't Like:
Not much I can think of.  The journey's end kind of left me a bit disappointed and confused, but not enough to ruin it for me.  It made sense in a way.  And left me eager to know what will happen in the next book.

Start with The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

s-factor: none
that I recall :)

mrg-factor: X
nothing on page, but it's talked about a bit

v-factor: -> 
some rather violent things happen, but not described in detail

Overall rating: *****

What's your favorite sequel that seems to tell its own story?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015