--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Feedback by Robison Wells

Feedback by Robison Wells
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: October 2012
Pages: 320
Source: ARC from publisher
For: Review
Series: Variant, Book 2

*Spoilers unavoidable for the first book, Variant*
Benson and Becky have only just escaped from Maxfield Academy.  But they can't seem to escape from its influence.  Now they are caught in a small town, unable to run for help or escape from the cruel adults running the Academy, who have total control over all the people in town.  Can they find a way to break everyone free?

Things I Liked:
This book hits the ground running and doesn't stop.  Picking up right where the first book left off, we are pounded by surprises and action and crazy plot twists.  I felt like my head was spinning sometimes with all the stuff going on.  In addition, Wells manages to pack in some thoughtful tidbits about motivations and what are the most important things to us when in a difficult situation.  Definitely a book that will keep you guessing and reading to figure out just what is going on.

Things I Didn't Like:
I had a hard time connecting with Benson again - especially when it related to his romantic decisions.  I was just confused by his choices and what he said and did.  Perhaps that's because he's a guy and I just don't get it, but it seemed like he did dumb things and there was no reason.  Also, the ending left me a bit disappointed.  There was a LOT of build-up and tension and then it just kind of abruptly ends.  I'm kind of wondering if there will be a bit more in the final version, as I read an ARC.  Not as jaw-dropping as that first book, but still an exciting sequel.

Read-alikes:
Start with Variant by Robinson Wells
The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
False Memory by Dan Krokos

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few

mrg-factor: none
just kissing

v-factor: ->->->
quite a bit, some of it made me rather squeamish

Overall rating: ****

Any favorite twisty plot or surprise ending books?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

1 comment :

  1. I haven't even read the first one yet! I've been warned about these cliffhanger endings, though, and I'm not sure I want to read them and then have to wait.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015