--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Classic Double Challenge: March

Another month already gone?  Seems like this year is flying past and I'm not doing so well on my challenges.  Not even my own!  I did make some progress, reading my first book that counts, New Girl by Paige Harbison, a retelling of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.  I am planning to write a joint review/comparison when I get Rebecca reread, so no real evidence that I'm making progress.  I picked a winner for the month of February, this time it was:


This month, I've decided to (try to) jazz things up.  You can earn extra entries into the monthly contest if you link up with any participating posts OR if you comment on the topic I mention below.  You are, of course, automatically entered in the contest just by signing up for the challenge (Classic Double Challenge sign-up page).  But you DO have to be signed up to win.  You can still comment if you have an awesome idea, though, whether or not you are joining the challenge.  So, what is this fabulous topic, you ask?

Today, we are doing a little dreaming.  I want you to come up with your dream retelling/sequel/related book.  Pick your dream author to write it, the original tale it's based on (or related to in some way), the setting, the genre, and any other details you want to tell us about it in the comments.  You can do as many dream books as you want (or dream series, if you're ambitious). 

Want an example?  Here's mine: I want a retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo, written by Scott Westerfeld (hey, I dream big), set in a futuristic/sci-fi world - can't you just picture Edmond being exiled to some distant planet, striking it rich and remaking himself as a powerful interplanetary leader? 

Ok, so it was a lot harder than I thought.  I'm excited to see what you guys do with it.  Your turn!


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

6 comments :

  1. Hmmm, well, I was going to play along but that's a lot harder than I thought it would be...I'll have to think about it for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading the Hunchback of Notre Dame and it would make for an awesome YA retelling! I would pick Neil Gaiman just because of his awesomeness and creativity in retelling the Jungle Book with his Graveyard Book. That book was genius. Maybe it could be dystopian to keep the dark feel of the Middle Ages. The priest and Esmerelda should totally hook up this time before everyone dies :) And sorry if I just spoiled Hunchback for everyone. That was fun Melissa! I had to think about it all night before something came to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is awesome, Jessica! What a fabulous concept, Hunchback would be a great dystopian - Quasimodo could be a victim of some kind of nuclear accident or acid attack or something. And who doesn't need more Neil Gaiman books out there?

      Delete
  3. For a retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo, try Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. Here's a Wikipedia link:

    http://tinyurl.com/3fcw3v

    They even describe it as such in the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the heads up! Never heard of this one.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015