--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review: The Timekeeper's Moon by Joni Sensel

The Timekeeper's Moon by Joni Sensel
(sequel to The Farwalker's Quest)
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Publication date: March 2, 2010
ISBN: 9781599904573
Source: Library


The Timekeeper's Moon

The moon is haunting the dreams and even the waking hours of the Farwalker Ariel.  Despite her new abilities as a farwalker, Ariel is being taunted by the moon - a moon that is telling her to hurry or everything they accomplished in finding the vault of knowledge will be lost.  She sets out once again following her feet, meeting new friends in faraway places.  But, will she be able to get where she needs to be in time?  

Things I Liked:
Fabulous continuation of the story in The Farwalker's Quest.  I love the way Sensel writes these beautiful fantasy stories and also has such realistic characters.  I'm still a huge fan of Ariel and Scarl, though I also found myself liking the new characters Sienna and Nace.  The story is exciting and the ending unexpected.  I like seeing how Ariel grows and changes and deals with the same things that tweens and teens all deal with - identity.  I just love Sensel's fantasy world (or post-apocalyptic/dystopian world, I guess) - and I'm hoping there will be another book about these characters.  Some of my fave quotes:

"He told her the tale that belonged to the pearl.  Although the words involved selkies and seawater, the pearl, round and white, drew Ariel's thoughts back to the moon.  No bright eye shone on them that night; the moon's thin waning sickle would not rise until nearly dawn.  Even a slivered moon pulled on the sea, though, and perhaps that pull echoed in pearls." p 37
"The stories they knew were the same.  What matters is how they are told, and how they are heard, and how they echo in our hearts." p 180
Things I Didn't Like:
It was not quite as thrilling in its adventure and action as the first in the series - I didn't feel Ariel was in as much danger and her journey didn't feel quite as important as in that book.  


Read-alikes:
Read The Farwalker's Quest by Sensel first

Reminded me of books of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: X
some discussion appropriate for Ariel's age


v-factor: ->
some frightening things mostly


Overall rating: ****

Do you have a favorite less-well-known fantasy author?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. Yeah, I'm not sure it was about the journey/adventure, though. It was more about her discovering herself. And for that, it was good. Though the ending was a bit weird for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, hm...I read this a while ago and now I'm having trouble remembering the ending. I'll have to think about it some more.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015