--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Book Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publication date: July 2014
Pages: 496
Source: Library
For: Fun
Series: The Remnant Chronicles, Book 1

Summary (from goodreads):
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.
Things I Liked:
Well, I have to admit I was annoyed when Pearson didn't come out and say who was who (ie - we don't know which one is which when the story is told from Lia's perspective).  I kept thinking I knew and then second guessing it.  I think this is what sustained me through pretty much the whole book - I just wanted to figure it out.  In that sense, well played, Mary Pearson! And then the end happened and all the action was pretty much dumped into that last quarter of the book.  I'm intrigued and want to read the sequel, but not sure what to expect.

Things I Didn't Like:
I think I was annoyed by the length a number of times.  Nothing much seems to happen for a long time.  Also, Lia should have been a little smarter when thinking about the consequences of her running away.

Read-alikes:
Reminded me a bit of the Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
maybe one or two

mrg-factor: X
some suggestive moments

v-factor: ->->
a bit of fighting happens on page

Overall rating: ****

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I've heard good and bad about this one. I ended up buying it so I hope I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's kind of a divisive book - I'll be interested to see what you think!

      Delete
  2. I liked this book though I figured out who was who pretty early on. I did like the twist at the end and I plan to read the sequel though I may reread The Kiss of Deception first to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm kind of slow in figuring it out - I would think I had it figured and then I'd have to rethink it again.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015