--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 9, 2015

Top Ten Books for Readers Who Like Retellings


It's been ages since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday and I've really missed doing the lists.  It's no secret I'm a fan of retellings, so I thought I'd come up with a top ten.  Then, I realized I had too many faves, so I decided to cheat and separate fairy tale retellings from classic retellings.

Top Ten Twelve Fairy Tale Retellings:
League of Princes series by Christopher Healy (multiple tales)
Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer (multiple tales)
Entwined by Heather Dixon (12 Dancing Princesses)
Woodcutter Sisters series by Alethea Kontis (multiple tales)
Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (12 Dancing Princesses, Frog Prince)
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (Beauty and the Beast)
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce (Rumplestiltskin)
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George (East of the Sun)
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (Six Swans)
Thornspell by Helen Lowe (Sleeping Beauty)
Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (Maid Maleen)
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (The Goose Girl)
  
Top Ten Classic Retellings:
The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein series by Kenneth Oppel (Frankenstein)
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (Persuasion)
Dodger by Terry Pratchett (Oliver Twist)
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (Sherlock)
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughan (Robin Hood)
The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper (King Arthur)
The Once and Future King by T.H. White (King Arthur)
Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis (Cupid and Psyche)
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan (Greek mythology)
The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher by Jessica Lawson (Tom Sawyer)

What are your favorite retellings?
 
If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

6 comments :

  1. The Lunar chronicles and Cruel Beauty ate awesome retellings. Couldn't agree more. Now it looks like I need to read more classic retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to as well! It was much tougher to find those ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list. I've only discovered recently that I love retellings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have not read most of these. A CURSE AS DARK AS GOLD sounds fabulous and I think I need to give DODGER a go as well.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015