--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Thought I'd Like More (or Less) Than I Did


Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic was a rather sticky one for me: Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did.  It seems there are a lot more books I thought I'd like more and not so many less.  I think this is in large part due to that wily thing called expectation.  To an extent, we go into every book with some level of expectation.  And generally I avoid those I expect not to enjoy, hence the longer first list.  The disclaimer, then is this: most of these are based entirely on whether or not a book met my expectations, which is definitely a subjective thing.  And on that note:

Books I Thought I'd Like More Than I Did:
Beta by Rachel Cohn
I was super excited to read this one, as it looked like an awesome concept.  It was, I just didn't enjoy it.

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
I admit my hopes were not too high, as I'd been burned out on paranormal romance when I got this.  Still, I was sorely disappointed in it.

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
I was truly surprised by the first book in this series, Unearthly (see list below), and thus had hoped to like the sequel more.  Alas, it wasn't so for me.

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
I had very high hopes for this one and while it met some of those, it still wasn't quite as much as I thought.

Reckless by Cornelia Funke
I really enjoyed Funke's Inkheart series, but this one felt all wrong to me.

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier
After that exciting and intriguing first book, Ruby Red, I expected to love this one.  Not so.

Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder
I guess I missed spending the time with Yelena, because I did not like Opal nearly as much.

Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison
Admittedly, after seeing a number of less-than-stellar reviews, my hopes were not high.  But, I wanted more from this retelling by a favorite author.

The Weepers by Susanne Winnacker
Another dystopian that I was hoping would be as awesome as Hunger Games.  It wasn't.

What Came From the Stars by Gary D.Schmidt
I adored everything I'd read of Schmidt's thus far, but this foray into fantasy was a miss for me.


And on a happier note:
Books I Thought I'd Like Less Than I Did:
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
I thought this one would be silly fun.  I was right, but it was so. much. more.

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
I expected only a bit of silliness, but the audiobook of this was much more interesting than I first thought!

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Yes, I liked lots of Maggie's stuff, but I did not expect to fall so head over heals in love with those raven boys!

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
See my above comment about the sequel.  I had not had much luck with angel books, but this one surprised me with its refreshing touch.

With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
This one sounded like it might be a bit too cheesy, but it turned out to be a really smart, thoughtful book!

What books made your list this week?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

12 comments :

  1. I'm so sad you didn't like Hallowed. The Unearthly series is one of my all time favorites. (Possibly because it was when I got back into reading) Each book is not for everyone though!
    New follower :)
    Beth | The Reading Vixens
    Vixen's Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was really sad about Hallowed too, especially since I enjoyed Unearthly so much. Ah, well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love the cover of Tris and Lizzie, but after reading all those bad reviews I just don't think I could do it. I really enjoyed the Raven Boys more than I though I would, too.
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend Tris and Izzie. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed With a Name Like Love. I thought it was really good and thoughtful too.

    My TTT Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just so sweet and so good too? So glad it didn't turn out too cheesy.

      Delete
  4. I've only read a few of these, but I really liked WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE, too. I think it's the cover that makes it look cheesy. It's totally not, though. I'm glad you liked it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has to do with the cover. Also, I think the plot sounds like it would be cheesy, but so glad it wasn't!

      Delete
  5. The Hero's Guide to Saving your Kingdom sounds good now that you say it's more than a silly humor book. And I still need to read Raven Boys! Everyone loves it and it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely don't miss out on Hero's Guide! Or Raven Boys. Really both wonderful books.

      Delete
  6. The Raven Boys made my opposite list. It's my least favorite of Maggie Stiefvater's books.

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I love how there's always an audience for each book!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015