--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review: Rebel Heart by Moira Young

Rebel Heart by Moira Young
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication date: October 2012
Pages: 432
Source: Library
For: Fun (and Dystopian Challenge)
Series: Dust Lands, Book 2


*Spoilers are inevitable for Blood Red Road*
Saba has finally found Lugh and has everything she wants. But she can't seem to shake the ghosts of her violent past. Not only that, but Lugh has changed and their relationship is no longer what it used to be. So when a cryptic message comes from Jack, she's determined to return and find him, despite the danger to herself and her family.

Things I Liked:
Unfortunately, it's been months since I finished this and I didn't write much in the way of my thoughts after finishing it.  I had to go and remind myself what happened in the book (and then I remembered just how crazy the ending seemed to get).  It was not as amazing as the first one for me, but I still like Saba a lot and I still love the dialect and simplistic writing style Young uses. It makes the whole book more engrossing (once you can get into the rhythm of the story).  I do remember thinking Saba, Lugh, Jack and the others seemed to be experiencing realistically the effects of the first book.  The tension in all those relationships, and the new ones, was painful, but real.  An interesting and definitely unique kind of post-apocalyptic story.


Things I Didn't Like:
I have to admit the romance was the thing that bugged me the most.  It seemed everyone was in love with Saba and she was rather cruel to some of those in love with her.  She made some interesting choices that I think will have even more painful consequences in the future.  Still, I couldn't believe how much of the book ended up focusing just on these romantic relationships and less on Saba adjusting to her world that's changed.  I'm still very interested to see where the story goes in the next book. 


Read-alikes:
Start with Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Reminds me a bit of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
mild ones, mostly

mrg-factor: X 
an "incident" that isn't described so much as implied

v-factor: ->-> 
plenty of action, but not gory

Overall rating: *** 

Which of the people in the love quadrangle would you choose?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I loved Blood Red Road, but I'm not sure about reading Rebel Heart what with the love triangle. Love quadrangle? What?

    See, this is why I love Code Name Verity so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely watch out for the quadrangle (she really has three love interests). I'm with you on Code Name Verity all the way!

      Delete
  2. I liked this one too, but definitely not as much as I liked Blood Red Road. I agree with you about all the relationships distracting from Saba's adjustment to her world. And the little surprise in the epilogue is both interesting and weird. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, and now I can't remember the epilogue! I obviously didn't get a whole lot out of my first reading. Off to try and figure it out :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015